11 replies to this topic

#1 Soundbounder

Soundbounder

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

Busted twice this year for hidden compartments

It turns out that the New Bedford, Massachusetts, commercial scallop fisherman who was forced to give up the 881-pound bluefin tuna he accidentally caught in a net earlier this week has a history of fisheries violations.

Fisherman Forced to Give Up Tuna has History of Violations

#2 mrtheman

mrtheman

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

So? Laws are at a point where you might as well call them infinate. It is infinatley probable, a person will not know them all.

#3 Soundbounder

Soundbounder

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

So? Laws are at a point where you might as well call them infinate. It is infinatley probable, a person will not know them all.

Hidden fish compartments are a pretty big violation. This isn't some technicality

#4 mrtheman

mrtheman

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hidden fish compartments are a pretty big violation. This isn't some technicality

Oh. How can they tell they are hidden fish compartments? I though all fish compartment would be hidden under the deck and out of the way.Where do hidder ones go? I have a few compartments on my boat. I hope they aren't illegal. I'm probably safe either way though. I'm pretty sure I don't have any way to catch a tuna fish

Edited by mrtheman, 28 November 2011 - 01:44 PM.

#5 Soundbounder

Soundbounder

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Oh. How can they tell they are hidden fish compartments? I though all fish compartment would be hidden under the deck and out of the way.Where do hidder ones go? I have a few compartments on my boat. I hope they aren't illegal. I'm probably safe either way though. I'm pretty sure I don't have any way to catch a tuna fish

If you read the stories you wouldn't be asking that.
It's the same set-up smugglers use....only in these cases they were for fish.

#6 mrtheman

mrtheman

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

[quote name='Soundbounder' timestamp='1322513406' post='43081']
[quote name='mrtheman' timestamp='1322505823' post='43076']
[quote name='Soundbounder' timestamp='1322505053' post='43074']
[quote name='mrtheman' timestamp='1322489853' post='43066']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]If you read the stories you wouldn't be asking that.
It's the same set-up smugglers use....only in these cases they were for fish.
[/quote]

"
It turns out that the New Bedford, Massachusetts, commercial scallop fisherman who was forced to give up the 881-pound bluefin tuna he accidentally caught in a net last week has a history of fisheries violations.

In November and August, 2011, Carlos Rafael, an influential New Bedford businessman and New England fisheries industry leader, was busted for having hidden compartments on 2 of his vessels. The Coast Guard estimated that just one of the boats could have illegally generated $3 million this year in illegal scallops.
Raphael owns New Bedford’s largest fleet, estimated at more than 2 dozen active groundfish and scallop boats. He also serves on the board of the Gloucester-based Northeast Seafood Coalition."

Is there another story that says something about drug smuggling type cpmpartments?

This just say he got busted for compartments... You would think there would have been something in them when they got busted.or is the whole thing speculation and a part of the boat as when it was built and not secret?

#7 David Kuhlmann

David Kuhlmann

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Walleye Fishing
    Bass Fishing
    Deer Hunting
    Duck Hunting
    Goose Hunting

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

Neither the link you provided nor the one that it leads to say anything about him either being a scallop fisherman or being busted for supposed smuggling compartments Posted Image Where did you get that from ?

The article does state they are trawlers and to me that means fish not scallops. None the less he also has purchased tuna permits for the last 4 years just in case they were to catch a tuna in their nets. He obviously was trying to do the right thing. He just obviously didn't read the part you are not supposed to catch a tuna in a net. Should have said they caught it on a rod and reel and all would have been a different outcome.
David Kuhlmann North West Iowa Walleye Fishing Love Lake Erie 1800 Lund Tyee Mariner 150 hp 2.5 L Lowrance electronics 

#8 Cracker Larry

Cracker Larry

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Interests:Boat building and fishing

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

The article does state they are trawlers and to me that means fish not scallops.

Well, if you lived in Georgia it would probably mean shrimp to you Posted Image But in the NE, sea scallops are taken by trawlersPosted Image
"NO EXCUSE"
Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats
Small Craft Surveying

View My Boat in the ReelBoating Boat Dock

#9 David Kuhlmann

David Kuhlmann

Reel Active Member

• Registered
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Walleye Fishing
    Bass Fishing
    Deer Hunting
    Duck Hunting
    Goose Hunting

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

Good to know Larry I thought they were dredged up with "dredges" ;? Thanks for the info. But yes trawlers to me mean shrimp or fish. I did grow up in the south by the way. New Orleans to be exact.
David Kuhlmann North West Iowa Walleye Fishing Love Lake Erie 1800 Lund Tyee Mariner 150 hp 2.5 L Lowrance electronics 

#10 Soundbounder

Soundbounder

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

Neither the link you provided nor the one that it leads to say anything about him either being a scallop fisherman or being busted for supposed smuggling compartments Posted Image Where did you get that from ?

Poor choice of words. I meant that having the hidden compartments is a violation of law regardless of whether there is "content" in them. I tried to use the example of a smuggler getting busted even if he is not caught with actual contraband.
My mistake.

i hope this clears it up:

The boat was boarded for routine inspection on Aug. 7 in the outer harbor, said Hamel. Using a well-established method, the team took routine measurements to account for all spaces when something didn't add up. The master of the vessel, said the Coast Guard, gave permission to remove the panel, revealing the "insulated void" with a deck drain.

http://www.southcoas.../NEWS/108190307

"Installing a hidden compartment on any vessel is a violation of U.S. law," Neptun said.

http://www.glouceste...ders-boat/print

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users