Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Fisherman Forced to Give Up Tuna has History of Violations

Busted twice this year for hidden compartments

It turns out that the New Bedford, Massachusetts, commercial scallop fisherman who was forced to give up the 881-pound bluefin tuna he accidentally caught in a net earlier this week has a history of fisheries violations.

Fisherman Forced to Give Up Tuna has History of Violations

So? Laws are at a point where you might as well call them infinate. It is infinatley probable, a person will not know them all.

Hidden fish compartments are a pretty big violation. This isn't some technicality

Oh. How can they tell they are hidden fish compartments? I though all fish compartment would be hidden under the deck and out of the way.Where do hidder ones go? I have a few compartments on my boat. I hope they aren't illegal. I'm probably safe either way though. I'm pretty sure I don't have any way to catch a tuna fish

Edited by mrtheman

So? Laws are at a point where you might as well call them infinate. It is infinatley probable, a person will not know them all.

Hidden fish compartments are a pretty big violation. This isn't some technicality

Oh. How can they tell they are hidden fish compartments? I though all fish compartment would be hidden under the deck and out of the way.Where do hidder ones go? I have a few compartments on my boat. I hope they aren't illegal. I'm probably safe either way though. I'm pretty sure I don't have any way to catch a tuna fish

If you read the stories you wouldn't be asking that.

It's the same set-up smugglers use....only in these cases they were for fish.

If you read the stories you wouldn't be asking that.

It's the same set-up smugglers use....only in these cases they were for fish.

"

It turns out that the New Bedford, Massachusetts, commercial scallop fisherman who was forced to give up the 881-pound bluefin tuna he accidentally caught in a net last week has a history of fisheries violations.

In November and August, 2011, Carlos Rafael, an influential New Bedford businessman and New England fisheries industry leader, was busted for having hidden compartments on 2 of his vessels. The Coast Guard estimated that just one of the boats could have illegally generated $3 million this year in illegal scallops.

Raphael owns New Bedford’s largest fleet, estimated at more than 2 dozen active groundfish and scallop boats. He also serves on the board of the Gloucester-based Northeast Seafood Coalition."

Is there another story that says something about drug smuggling type cpmpartments?

This just say he got busted for compartments... You would think there would have been something in them when they got busted.or is the whole thing speculation and a part of the boat as when it was built and not secret?

Neither the link you provided nor the one that it leads to say anything about him either being a scallop fisherman or being busted for supposed smuggling compartments 504_shrugging.gif Where did you get that from ?

The article does state they are trawlers and to me that means fish not scallops. None the less he also has purchased tuna permits for the last 4 years just in case they were to catch a tuna in their nets. He obviously was trying to do the right thing. He just obviously didn't read the part you are not supposed to catch a tuna in a net. Should have said they caught it on a rod and reel and all would have been a different outcome.

Neither the link you provided nor the one that it leads to say anything about him either being a scallop fisherman or being busted for supposed smuggling compartments 504_shrugging.gif Where did you get that from ?

Poor choice of words. I meant that having the hidden compartments is a violation of law regardless of whether there is "content" in them. I tried to use the example of a smuggler getting busted even if he is not caught with actual contraband.

My mistake.

i hope this clears it up:

The boat was boarded for routine inspection on Aug. 7 in the outer harbor, said Hamel. Using a well-established method, the team took routine measurements to account for all spaces when something didn't add up. The master of the vessel, said the Coast Guard, gave permission to remove the panel, revealing the "insulated void" with a deck drain.

http://www.southcoas.../NEWS/108190307

"Installing a hidden compartment on any vessel is a violation of U.S. law," Neptun said.

http://www.glouceste...ders-boat/print