Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

VW TDI or Prius?

Just faced a similar decision a few weeks ago, brought on because my 2005 VW was killing me on repairs.My daily commute is 94 miles round trip.

Here in Fl., the best I could do on a TDI was 25,900 out the door. Prius was 27,400 out the door.

So, I looked a little further out of the fuel mileage box and wound up with a brand new 2011 Honda Accord 4 door LX for 20,700 out the door. Roomier than the Prius or Jetta, and over the first 2000 miles of ownership I'm averaging 34 MPG on 95% highway/ 5% city driving

I also took into consideration the 10% premium diesel commands over gas and the fact the batteries in hybrids eventually need replacement.

I'm still not convinced diesels or hybrids make good economic sense.

Just faced a similar decision a few weeks ago, brought on because my 2005 VW was killing me on repairs.My daily commute is 94 miles round trip.

Here in Fl., the best I could do on a TDI was 25,900 out the door. Prius was 27,400 out the door.

So, I looked a little further out of the fuel mileage box and wound up with a brand new 2011 Honda Accord 4 door LX for 20,700 out the door. Roomier than the Prius or Jetta, and over the first 2000 miles of ownership I'm averaging 34 MPG on 95% highway/ 5% city driving

I also took into consideration the 10% premium diesel commands over gas and the fact the batteries in hybrids eventually need replacement.

I'm still not convinced diesels or hybrids make good economic sense.

Was your 2005 a TDI? Were the repairs any more expensive than another brand?

Turbos are less expensive than hybrid batteries. 12-15 more mpg must be factored in also.

Nope, it was a Beetle. Bought new by my stepdaughter, then driven by my wife, I had it for the last year. Great car up to 50K miles then the nightmare started. Power windows went, check engine light came on every three thousand miles, etc.etc.. Long story short, I put 4000.00 into repairs in one year. Never again. Everyone I know who has owned a VW has had a similar experience.

I hear ya on the 12-15 mpg more, but I came in at 5200.00 less than the VW and 6700.00 less than the Prius. That buys a lot of gas. Not to mention my 6'1" 190 lbs fits a whole lot better in the Accord.

I did my homework on this choice, and the two vehicles on your short list were on mine also.

I don't regret my decision one bit.