Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Home Inspectors

So, client asks me up front if I have an issue with them hiring a home inspector to provide them independent reports throughout the build process. I say "Not at all". So they do, and I have to say that this clown is simply stealing money from these people and should be ashamed to make the claim that he is "in the industry".

1) There is a false wall in the lower level kitchen that needs to be removed

Reply - it is called a wet wall stupid and allows for extra insulation to prevent pipes from freezing. Clearly shown on page 9 of the plans

2) Electrical panel is too small

Reply - Try looking at the main panel and not one of the sub panels next time (report had a picture of the "too small" panel)

3) Second floor is missing three walls that are shown on plans provided

Reply - Check the princess bathroom, you will see it is missing the over sized jacuzzi they ordered, which is back ordered. I will gladly have the walls framed in once you explain to me how we get the jacuzzi in the bathroom without then having to take them down because it will not fit

4) Unneccessary bridging in first floor study. Buyer should ask for credit back on labor spent installing

Reply - The study has a nine piece crown molding schedule. An unintelligent builder, does not put in blocking and then says, @@##$$ I wish I had blocking to nail to. An intelligent builder adds blocking during framing and then worries not where there are nailers when finishing out a room.

5) There is a framed wall in the basement that has non pressure treated lumber in contact with concrete

Reply - Did you look carefully at the so called room? It is a temporary room built for onsite tool storage. It will get knocked down when the project is finished.

6) No electrical outlets roughed in on any walls in the billiards room

Reply - Owner has not finalized plan for size/number of raised panels in room. Outlet locations can not be established until number of panels are known as a careful builder ensures that they are centered in the panels.

Stupidity annoys me to no end!!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once sold a $700,000 computer system to a medical group. They hired a consulting firm for $320,000 to monitor our installation. Not to train and install it, merely to "monitor" our training and installation. We had weekly status meetings. At one the consultant got up during a break and left the room. One of the medical groups members commented that the consultant was being awlful picky about busting on us about the installation, and how smooth they thought things were going. My reply was, "If you were paying me $320,000, I'd find something wrong too." If they had spent the $320,000 on additional training, they would have gotten ten times the bang for the buck.

Dealing with people who think they know what there doing is definately irritating to say the least.....

Yup. Just like a lot of insurance company adjusters that don't no everythung their policys cover. That was always fun. Once had a company adjuster say there was no coverage for asbastos. I told him he was absolutly right re Libility coverage. BUT, This is a FIRE loss. Show me the money insurance boy.

I guess I don't understand how you could hire someone

to do major work for major money and not trust them to

do the job right. To the point where you pay someone else

to keep an eye on them? When do you hire someone to watch

the guy you hired to watch the guy who's doing the actual work?

Sound like a public works project.

I've been using the same contractor (2 Guys) for about 10

years. 1 addition, 2 bathroom remodels, a few small "odd"

jobs and now major repair due to ice storm damage from

December. Probably $100K over the years. We've established

a few rules and have never had ANY problems. Written and signed

estimates and contracts. Any changes due to unforeseen issues that

will add cost or change appearance are discussed. Communicate regularly.

If they're not going to show up as planned, I get a call. Mostly common

sense and courtesty, in both directions.