Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

hello from the Turks and Caicos

First post, thanks Wiley for the invite, I stoped reading the other site about 1 1/2 ago, I wondered what was wrong. glad to see you open another site :

Gringo, just wanted to say hi again, I've been following your blog well since the first day and look forward to your post. keep'em coming, it helps us water/sun people get though our daily grind :2403_worshipper:

I'm real interested in your thoughts on the bone fishing thingy.

IM me and I'll send you my email addy.

thanks again to Wiley for opening back up.

thanks

Danny

Okay, I sent you a PM on that.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just figured out what my dogs think of me, Thanks.

We had never had one of the small breed dogs before. I never had much use for the yippy little critters, always had labs, couple spaniels, etc. Then we knew we were going to be travelling a bit and decided to try this Jack Russell Terrierist. He was only about six weeks old when we got him.

Terriers are different. Based upon a lifetime of experience with mostly black and golden labs, and now having spent over five years with this JRT, I have some ideas on that. Most of the breeds I have had in the past were basically dogs bred to help with hunting. I shoot the duck, or pheasant, and the dog runs or swims out and brings it back to me. Or leads me to the birds and stands still while I shoot them. Labs seem to live to make you happy. That's their thing.

JRTs are bred to be independent killers. Watching this thing kill six rats in something like two minutes was really startling. No playing around like a cat, these dogs are all business and hyper efficient. A quick, violent head shake, then a skull crunch, and move on. They are looking for the next rat before the last one has stopped shuddering. He thinks he can kill anything his size or smaller for sure, and some things bigger than he is. I really don't think he pays attention to size. People have told me of them killing squirrels, for example. Close enough to a rat, I guess. He will charge three or four sixty lb dogs, barking and growling with his hackles up and it's rare that they don't all run from him. ( I think he tells them he is a lawyer from New Jersey)

When he smells a rat, he becomes totally focused on tracking it down. He will stay outside way past his dinner time, til midnight or until we go get him, patiently working to find a rat. It becomes his whole reason to be there. He wants to kill it. Not fetch it, not point it out to me so I can kill it. HE wants to kill it. It's an obsession. The whole attitude is different. I know it's funny to think of a seventeen pound dog as being a natural born killer, but it's true.

Little SOBs are way too smart for their own good, too. His major saving grace is that he is almost fearless ( except for thunder-related things) and loves boats and loves to swim.

"Little SOBs are way too smart for their own good, too. His major saving grace is that he is almost fearless ( except for thunder-related things) and loves boats and loves to swim."

I have an eight pound Yorkshire terrier (Boomer) that thinks he is as big as a lab. Yes he is too smart for his own good too. I'm afraid a dog in the neighborhood is going to eat him one day. He takes off after them when they enter the yard like a bat out of hell. They just prance off wagging their tails and looking back like he's crazy. We live on the water and have the boat on a lift, the word "boat" sends him to the dock wanting to get in.

Debi got tired of him wanting for her to pick him up and put him on the bed. He has a chair to climb up on but it's not as fun as waking her up. So he would make these little half a$$ed barking sounds. Then he would give up for a minute or so and start scratching on the base of a wicker flower pot. This went on till Debi finally moved the flower pot to the kitchen. I came home and asked why the pot was in the kitchen. She said it was to keep Boomer from scratching at night. I just smirked. Couple night later he starts his half a$$ed barking sounds and then he quit. Time went on and I thought well maybe it worked. Then we hear this tapping noise and I busted out laughing but the wife didn't think it was too funny at all. He had figured out how to flip the handle to the dresser drawers up and down with his nose to make noise. I rolled over and asked Debi. Are you going to move all the drawers to the kitchen now? Sometimes we just don't give them much credit for being smart.

for 14 years we had a 95 pound malamutt (malamute, black lab). the quietest ,gentlest, friendliest dog there ever was. friend had a JR. watching the two have a tug of war over a stick was a sight to behold. the JR would not let go no matter what. picked up off the ground and spun around in the air...no matter...and managed to growl the entire time.