Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Waterproofing Canvas

Hi All

I have a T-Top on my cc that uses canvas and is about 5 years old. I haven't treated it with anything in this time and I noticed last time I was out fishing in the rain (happens tooo often!!) that water is seeping through. Can anyone suggest a good spray or home treatment for it? Its fading a fair bit too so I guess some UV protection would be good too?

I'm in Australia but imagine most things would be available on line etc.

Hi All

I have a T-Top on my cc that uses canvas and is about 5 years old. I haven't treated it with anything in this time and I noticed last time I was out fishing in the rain (happens tooo often!!) that water is seeping through. Can anyone suggest a good spray or home treatment for it? Its fading a fair bit too so I guess some UV protection would be good too?

I'm in Australia but imagine most things would be available on line etc.

I second the 303 product. Use it on boat & car.

Before water proofing, check the material you are going to spray the product on. Stay away from silicone and opt for a petroleum based product. Test on a small obtrusive area of the fabric before application.The fumes are strong, so apply only in an open area. Remove the canvas from the boat before waterproofing it if possible. Waterproofing is derived after a chemical treatment, with time it loses its effectiveness;it has to be re applied.Apply two coats, or as per the manufacturer's instruction and allow it to dry thoroughly before reinstalling.