Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mate Series rod/cup holders....

I never knew these existed until I saw a banner ad here. It was like a bright light at the end of a tunnel because my boat has a cup holder problem. Its a great boat but came with zero cup holders and no place to really put them other than the suction cup type which I hate.

I do have 3 nice stainless steel cup holders on the back of the lean post backrest. But three isn't enough on my boat as its used more for family/friend cruising and partying then fishing.

I hooked up with Merritt Marine Supply to get the rod/cup holders. They had the best price and they were a great group of guys to deal with.

While I was at Merritt I opened one of the rod holders. These things are nice! They weigh 3 times what the standard Lee's holders do that came out of the boat. They are super high polished all welded 316 welded stainless steel. The work is so good you can't even see the welds.. It looks like one solid piece. And every rod holder comes with a beer coolie....with the manufacture logo of course.

I started taking pictures half way through the project. Here are the holes opened up...

CIMG3528.jpg

This is the difference in hole size from a regular Lee's holder. You are only removing a 1/4" around the existing hole. I don't see a major concern here.

CIMG3533.jpg

Installed, holding my ice water, its about 100 degrees today. And these cup holders will be in perfect arms reach when the rear seat is in place.

CIMG3531.jpg

CIMG3532.jpg

This is my console. I don't want drinks on the top. They would be right in my line of sight. And you can't sink flush mount cup holders because of the plexi glass door that slides up under the top of the console.

CIMG3529.jpg

I fabricated this angle base for a flush mounted cup holder. There is only room for one and it is for the captains drink.

CIMG3530.jpg

I did put a Penn International rod with a Penn 30TW in one of the holders. It sets in there nice and solid. I can feel no difference between these and the original Lee's holders.

I never knew these existed until I saw a banner ad here. It was like a bright light at the end of a tunnel because my boat has a cup holder problem. Its a great boat but came with zero cup holders and no place to really put them other than the suction cup type which I hate.

I do have 3 nice stainless steel cup holders on the back of the lean post backrest. But three isn't enough on my boat as its used more for family/friend cruising and partying then fishing.

I hooked up with Merritt Marine Supply to get the rod/cup holders. They had the best price and they were a great group of guys to deal with.

While I was at Merritt I opened one of the rod holders. These things are nice! They weigh 3 times what the standard Lee's holders do that came out of the boat. They are super high polished all welded 316 welded stainless steel. The work is so good you can't even see the welds.. It looks like one solid piece. And every rod holder comes with a beer coolie....with the manufacture logo of course. Chris, REAL NICE BOAT! For its year shes fine! You got it good.

I started taking pictures half way through the project. Here are the holes opened up...

CIMG3528.jpg

This is the difference in hole size from a regular Lee's holder. You are only removing a 1/4" around the existing hole. I don't see a major concern here.

CIMG3533.jpg

Installed, holding my ice water, its about 100 degrees today. And these cup holders will be in perfect arms reach when the rear seat is in place.

CIMG3531.jpg

CIMG3532.jpg

This is my console. I don't want drinks on the top. They would be right in my line of sight. And you can't sink flush mount cup holders because of the plexi glass door that slides up under the top of the console.

CIMG3529.jpg

I fabricated this angle base for a flush mounted cup holder. There is only room for one and it is for the captains drink.

CIMG3530.jpg

I did put a Penn International rod with a Penn 30TW in one of the holders. It sets in there nice and solid. I can feel no difference between these and the original Lee's holders.