Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Odd Boat industry question - Indulge me please

Before my question, let me just say that I have always had such a great passion for boats that quite frankly may not be normal. Whenever I am driving down the highway and I see a boat being trailered I speed up or slow down to get a closer look. If I go to boat shows I get sick with all the different things I want to do to my boat or start thinking about upgrading. Sometimes, I avoid being around boats just to keep my sanity.

With that said, I am educated (MBA) marketing professional with many years of experience in the technology field. I was recently let go and I am actively pursing another similar job. However, I am not passionate about about technology and was wondering how to penetrate into the marine industry when your just an avid boater. If I could do for a boat manufacturer what I do for the technology sector I would be in heaven. It wouldn't even be called work for me.

Anyone know how to get into the marine industry when you don't have the experience but a tremendous amount of passion for all things aquatic? Lastly, I have done well for myself in the technology field, can you make a comfortable living in marketing in the marine industry or are the margins and unstable market a detriment to my dream?

Thanks in advance.

You could probably make a killing if you could put on smaller boat shows around the country that did not cost the Vendors 10 to 20 thousand for a booth. Then specialize the shows with certain size/class boats . I'm talking about finding a Parking lot, a Farm, A field, something that can be set up cheap to show boats. I don't care about 100' yachts , food processors or hunting packages , I want to see BOATS I CAN AFFORD.

Like 20 to 30 foot boats at one show [ Stuff we can afford ] 30's to 40's at the next and so on ....

Monza,

I too share a passion for boats that seems quite akin to your, fortunately, when the aerospace industry kind of went belly up about 15-20 years ago, I got my foot in the door at Wellcraft, building boats (used to build weapons systems, big difference!!), and now have my own business re-wiring boats, as well as performing any type of electrical work any boat might need. Frankly, I'm GLAD I'm not in the boat builder business anymore, I have no desire to return to it, and I wouldn't advise anyone to "dive right in". Keep in mind, recreational boats are are not a necessity, and, combine that with the still major uncertainty of this economy, and the cautiousness that goes along with that...well, it's not a rosy picture.

Not to take away from Wiley here, but PM Mike Carrigan over on THT. The salesman of salesman. A very good friend, and about as avid a boater as you can imagine. He would be better suited to guide you than I would, as he has an ever rosy view of the boating business! Tell him Bob C sent you...

Yep, plus we wouldent have to "rub elbows" with the "Haves". Make it something for the common person. If you do that, youll still have a market. Just be wise about what the "Joe blow" wants or needs. Most importanly, what Joe can afford and still feed his family. That keeps Joes wife happy. My name is not Joe. But, my wife is happy. You need to corner this market if you want to get into boat/industry. Do you want deal boats? Products? It goes on and on. Or You can wind up a guide, IF you have what it takes. It aint easy. Anyway, just a thought or two. :1992_beer_cheer: What Welder said.

Edited by Have Knots

Great comments! Welder, interestingly, my specialty is trade shows and I am very well connected. I have never thought about a niche boat show but I am going to kick the idea around with some colleagues.

Seabob4, to your point, I don't know anyone that is happy building boats. I am fascinated by the process and love to smell the fiberglass, but I am more suited to working in corporate offices. I will contact Mike, thanks for the tip.

Have Knots, first rule of marketing is know your audience and target specifically their wants and interest. I never realized the obvious, shame on me but it is a testament to my mind set once I walk into the Miami or Ft Lauderdale boat show, the audience there is so widespread but I would imagine the average boat price there is in excess of 100K. With the push of putting triple on boats now, even a 30 foot cc is well over 100K. Heck, for that matter the bigger brand names are commanding nearly 100K for duals.

There is definitely are large audience of regular Joes that would appreciate a targeted show. Ironically, Ship Shape TV started rubbing me the wrong way when John replaced the $20K generator of his 56' Monterrey. The show convinced me that although some day I might be able to afford a used sport fishing boat, I won't be able to afford to fix it. If the generator went out on me, I would have to sell the boat. I was hoping, and I recommend it to the show, that he would show the steps involved in painting your engines. That is the kind of show I need, targeted at the regular Joe. However, he is kind of a genius though. Get sponsors to fix your boat for free and get paid while doing it.

I better stop guys, because when I get started talking about boats I can't help myself. Anyways, great input! I really appreciate the comments tips and ideas.

As Bob said, ask Mike C., who just changed jobs by the way from a company he had been with for many many years. I have lots of friends who are "former" marine industry people and are still looking for jobs; some of them with over 30 years experience. Unless you have something really unique to offer; I'd look into computers or something.

Or, figure a way to manufacture used boats which are selling quite well now.

The marine industry; as to the building of new boats, is metamorphising right now so that may improve your chances from the viewpoint of the industry looking for new blood and new input---but then the industry tends to stick with known people within the brotherhood so good luck with your quest; I hope you find what you are looking for, but don't hold your breath.

Before my question, let me just say that I have always had such a great passion for boats that quite frankly may not be normal. Whenever I am driving down the highway and I see a boat being trailered I speed up or slow down to get a closer look. If I go to boat shows I get sick with all the different things I want to do to my boat or start thinking about upgrading. Sometimes, I avoid being around boats just to keep my sanity.

With that said, I am educated (MBA) marketing professional with many years of experience in the technology field. I was recently let go and I am actively pursing another similar job. However, I am not passionate about about technology and was wondering how to penetrate into the marine industry when your just an avid boater. If I could do for a boat manufacturer what I do for the technology sector I would be in heaven. It wouldn't even be called work for me.

Anyone know how to get into the marine industry when you don't have the experience but a tremendous amount of passion for all things aquatic? Lastly, I have done well for myself in the technology field, can you make a comfortable living in marketing in the marine industry or are the margins and unstable market a detriment to my dream?

Thanks in advance.

Tough business You probably can't get with a major as you have no experience. You probably can't go with a minor as you cost too much.

Think add-ons like electronics or fuel additives. Think large repair yards/dealers. Call the Galati family and ask their advice. See if you can talk to anyone at Derecktor.

Think boating clubs. They are hot and growing. There is going to be a huge roll up in this sector and you might be able to catch a wave. Think multi location operators like Brewer's and Galati.

Work on a captain's license so you have some "cred".

It will take a while but this is a networked industry and you need to start connecting. You could become a territory manager for a smaller boat manufacturer. Strictly commission and you will never see home but for Christmas.

Whatever you do I wish you good fortune. Change ain't easy.

Tough business You probably can't get with a major as you have no experience. You probably can't go with a minor as you cost too much.

Think add-ons like electronics or fuel additives. Think large repair yards/dealers. Call the Galati family and ask their advice. See if you can talk to anyone at Derecktor.

Think boating clubs. They are hot and growing. There is going to be a huge roll up in this sector and you might be able to catch a wave. Think multi location operators like Brewer's and Galati.

Work on a captain's license so you have some "cred".

It will take a while but this is a networked industry and you need to start connecting. You could become a territory manager for a smaller boat manufacturer. Strictly commission and you will never see home but for Christmas.

Whatever you do I wish you good fortune. Change ain't easy.

How true. And it is also a very small world. Case in point. When I was a production Engineer at Proline, '06-'10, our Shur-Flo rep was my Quality Manager at Wellcraft...in '94...