Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boat Sales Continue to Decline

TRADE: Sales of fiberglass boats in the popular 14- to 30-foot segment fell 6.9 percent in the first quarter, to 10,579 boats, compared with the same quarter in 2010, but some builders saw improvements during the period.

Ranger, Carolina Skiff, Bayliner, Sea Hunt, Godfrey, Yamaha, Boston Whaler, Nautic Star, Cobalt and Key West were the top 10 builders whose results beat the market.

However, on their short list of brands I see where 20 of them posted losses

Market share leaders in the segment were Brunswick Marine Group, at 11.8 percent; Tracker Marine, at 7.3 percent; Yamaha, at 6.9 percent; Ranger, at 6.3 percent; and Carolina Skiff, at 5.5 percent.

Perhaps the boat companies need to spend less time on Facebook with their cousins and classmates and more time communicating with well managed niche communities (like ReelBoating) where consumers actually provide input.

Just sayin'

:rb-rules:

How about brochures?

Up here in the greets white north, Yamaha has discovered that brochures are a waste of money. There was a post from a Yamaha rep on one of the forums.

Facebook is a time sucking device suited to to non-buyers.

Hope to see some ads from Yamaha motors, etc. on this forum soon.

Looking for a replacement motor for ski-boat and recall that Florida dealers had an extended warranty in October.

I think the rise of Facebook as a marketing tool comes from folks who follow hype more than they follow logic. Should your company have a Facebook page? Sure if you're willing to spend the time or pay someone to spend the time tending to it. The best marketing is multiple faceted and well targeted. It doesn't have to be outrageously expensive but it ain't free.

As far as boat manufacturers, I think most of the ones listed represent a good value for the average boat buyer. That's were my focus would be, reducing cost and improving product to make my product fit in the best value for the money slot of the price range I played in.

I think the rise of Facebook as a marketing tool comes from folks who follow hype more than they follow logic. Should your company have a Facebook page? Sure if you're willing to spend the time or pay someone to spend the time tending to it. The best marketing is multiple faceted and well targeted. It doesn't have to be outrageously expensive but it ain't free.

As far as boat manufacturers, I think most of the ones listed represent a good value for the average boat buyer. That's were my focus would be, reducing cost and improving product to make my product fit in the best value for the money slot of the price range I played in.

Farcebook is a marketing tool for D-bag Groupies that are boat owner wannabees.

Oh look! I have 123,876,907,23 friend requests, wahoowahoowahoo.

The BEST way to sell boats is to talk to BOAT OWNERS and what better place to find some boat owners to talk to... A BOATING WEB SITE like this one.

So far www.ReelBoating.com has Owners that support EVERY brand out there or the owners know someone that does.

Well, I've been actually talking to several members of the boat building society this week (trying to get them to help me get parts!). Talked to my former co-worker from PL up at the Fountain plant, they are doing well, talked to the CS manager at Hydra-Sports, they are doing well (especially the 42), and talked to Tabman, who has "tabs" on the whole business...no facebook, no myspace, no twitter, actual phone calls, where one has to speak...semi coherently!

Are they doing as well as they used to? F NO! But are they doing better than they were a year or 2 ago? Definitely. And that's a good thing.

Just reporting on what I've heard, from people I actually know... :605_thumbs_up: