Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Loran C

I have a complete Raynav 570 Loran C unit with antenna & amplifier. I was wondering if this unit could be of any use to anybody. I know Loran is "dead" but I thought it might be used by a radio type experimentor person. Maybe a HAM RADIO operator can modify it for use somewher, somehow! Any comments would be appreciated. hate to put it in the dumpster!

Thanks,

Stas (aka FishinPole)

Isn't the Loran System still running? I know I have been busy and out of boating for the last year and a half, but last time I heard it was going to be kept up for awhile. I still have a couple hundred numbers (Really Good Ones) in the old TD format. I was planning on converting them over now that I have another boat.

Edited by Sans Peur

I have a complete Raynav 570 Loran C unit with antenna & amplifier. I was wondering if this unit could be of any use to anybody. I know Loran is "dead" but I thought it might be used by a radio type experimentor person. Maybe a HAM RADIO operator can modify it for use somewher, somehow! Any comments would be appreciated. hate to put it in the dumpster!

Thanks,

Stas (aka FishinPole)

Loran is gone. I just put a Northstar 800X in the trash. Image how many of those high priced Northstar Lorans were made and sold

Those frequencies will eventually be released for use by another technology. It is unlikely the Loran equipment will be adaptable to that function. A "Ham" operator might be able to salvage components or modify it to another legal purpose. You can list it on "Craigslist" 'FREE' or "Electronics' sections and if no bites, then dispose of it as solid waste.