Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Anybody ever buy a boat online from just pictures?

Lotta good deals online. Not enough time to keep running around thousands of miles to keep looking at boats. Is it nuts to just buy one from pictures?

No but the pictures clearly showed what I was looking for. Hull and Engine surveys confirmed the pictures then I booked the flights for sea trial and bank transfer of funds.

Buying a boat based only on sellers pictures is like playing with a loaded gun.

I bought the Revenge I just posted about from pictures online, and the fact that it was an original-owner boat, freshwater, from the midwest.

Crazy? Yes. I think it will work out though. I trusted my gut. The seller had great high-res pictures.

I bought it, they delivered it.

Ask me in six months if it was a good move. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I sent a deposit on my boat based on the pictures and a long talk with the broker and the mechanic. We signed a contract stating the deposit was Fully Refundable if the boat was not as presented. I drove 4 hours to sea trail and found a couple of minor problems. They fixed them promptly and I paid the rest of the cash.

It was a little scary wire transfering the deposit, but I checked the broker and mechanic out really well and made sure they were legit and had been in business for quite awhile. Made it a little easier.

I bought my maycraft 2450 Pilot House on line. Had a bracket but no power. I told the seller to state what's wrong with the boat and take pics of all problem areas. After he sent the pics I asked for some more specific pics. We made a deal on the price & I told the seller that I would pay for the boat in full on delivery but if it was not as represented it would stay right on the truck and be on the way back home in an hour. The only things wrong with the boat were what he told me about and that I had seen pics of. I paid the trucker and we off loaded the boat. That was in 2003 & I'm still using that boat today.

I purchased my boat online.

Sent a deposit via paypal

Emailed what I expected and he agreed.

Fist time I saw the boat there were a couple of

Small issues, he corrected

(by giving a discount)

The next week I went back with cash

it is and has been a great boat

As a side note, there are many good deals out there.

I would have it chacked out by a solid referenced mechanic.

Just make sure it is checked out if you dont see it in person