Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Removal of transducer / fairing blocks from bottom

I know they say 5200 is not removable, however I have been able to remove a thru hull transducer with high speed fairing block that I personally installed with 5200 about two years earlier. I took a sharp thin blade putty knife and hammered it "Carefully" between the fairing block and the hull. I only put a few small marks into the gel coat and after I reinstalled the new transducer they were covered anyway.

Great news. There is now a remover made for 5200 or any polyurethane based sealants that will break the bond. It's called debond and can be purchased at merrittsupply.com. You spray it on the outside edge and let it work for 15 to 20 minutes and get a putty knife under it. It will take a few applications to get the part all the way off but I know of people who have used this to remove outboard motor brackets from there transom with no damage. Give it a try it really works.

Get about a 3' piece of thin single strand stainless leader wire, maybe 20-40 lb. test. Wrap each end around a short length of dowel, or piece of broomstick, for handles, just like a garrote. Hold a handle in each hand, slip the wire under the fitting to be removed, and use a sawing motion to cut it off. This will take off almost anything bedded in 5200 in a few seconds.

Edited by Cracker Larry