Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Best reel for trolling

Great new site!

I am gearing my first rig and need some advice. I want to buy 2-4 rod reel combos for trolling mainly for dolphin.

What do you all recommend that will not break the bank. I definetly need to stay under $200/per. I have looked at the TLD 25's and have had them recommended.

What do you all think?

Thanks in adavance.............

I have been overhaulin and working on Penn reels for many a year. I like their ruggedness and simplicity. But lately I find that my Shimano TLD's are starting to go with me a little more often. They have a good drag system and are rugged themselves. Also have some Diawa SeaLines. Not too bad for the money, but the diawa label has fallen off one already.. :471_confused_face:

TLD'S would be my top choice in trying to stay under $200....in fact, I own six of them, all attached to $40 Shakespeare Tidewater rods and have had zero problems from any of them. Funny thing is, I bought the cheap rods thinking I'd replace them with nicer ones as they broke, but none have broken yet.

TLD'S would be my top choice in trying to stay under $200....in fact, I own six of them, all attached to $40 Shakespeare Tidewater rods and have had zero problems from any of them. Funny thing is, I bought the cheap rods thinking I'd replace them with nicer ones as they broke, but none have broken yet.

Thanks. Looks like TLD's it is.

There is a good reason for that on rods I have been to China and almost every rod is manufactured at the same plant all the big name brands and the no name the only difference is the label !

There is a good reason for that on rods I have been to China and almost every rod is manufactured at the same plant all the big name brands and the no name the only difference is the label !

West Marine has some of their rods (Aftco Roller stripper and Tip Top) supposedly made by Star for about $50-60 each. Good rod for the money.