Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Making adjustments

A few days ago Tom Shellenberger arrived with three of his fishing buddies from Moab UT to do a little marlin fishing. The bite had been slow but they had 3 days so I was confident we could scratch out a couple of fish each day. The main concentration of marlin had been off of La Ribera but it had been a lot of show and not much go.

First day there was a local tournanemt scheduled so we knew the spot known to have some fish would have a lot of traffic. With that, we headed off shore with the hopes of finding tuna, dorado or marlin away from the fleet. The day was slow and the score ended up with one sailfish.

Day two was spent off La Ribera where 25 tournament boats only landed 3 marlin the day before. It was reported that fish had been sighted jumping and feeding. Knowing there would be less traffic our decision was made to check it out. We saw marlin jumping and tailing all day and had several fish in our pattern. We tried to get them to go on Ballyhoo, green jacks and sardines. At the end of the day we were zero for 6 good shots. It was a very beautiful day on the water but not what any of us had hoped for.

The following morning I knew we needed to make some ajustments. Getting an early start we ran in shore of the location we had fished the day before. I had seen bait there a couple of days earlier and we found a school of small skipjack foaming on the surface. We were able to catch and fill our tuna tubes with this great bait in short order and were in business.

We started slow trolling the skipjack and also put one deep with our down rigger. The area looked dead and I was starting to wonder if we had made a mistake when bam! The down rigger bait got bit. It was a marlin and when it surfaced it brought a whole school of marlin with it. Wham! We hooked a second fish and had a double going. Another boat near us trolled by and hung one.

BD5-10-2.JPG

Tom Shellenberger and Tim Keogh going different directions with fish on.

BD5-10-3.JPG

Jen Wren III deckhand Diego leadering Tim's fish

BD5-10-4.JPG

Tom gets a photo before releasing his

BD5-10-5.JPG

Bendo! Mike Wilson hangs a fish

BD5-10-6.JPG

and the hat trick

BD5-10-7.JPG

Colin Fryer brings one to leader and releases it.

BD5-10-1.JPG

The boys celebrate with a Pacifico after a great day of fishing.

It is all about making ajustments for success.

Mark Rayor

http://www.thejenwren.com/

http://www.vistaseasport.com/

markrayor.blogspot.com

A few days ago Tom Shellenberger arrived with three of his fishing buddies from Moab UT to do a little marlin fishing. The bite had been slow but they had 3 days so I was confident we could scratch out a couple of fish each day. The main concentration of marlin had been off of La Ribera but it had been a lot of show and not much go.

First day there was a local tournanemt scheduled so we knew the spot known to have some fish would have a lot of traffic. With that, we headed off shore with the hopes of finding tuna, dorado or marlin away from the fleet. The day was slow and the score ended up with one sailfish.

Day two was spent off La Ribera where 25 tournament boats only landed 3 marlin the day before. It was reported that fish had been sighted jumping and feeding. Knowing there would be less traffic our decision was made to check it out. We saw marlin jumping and tailing all day and had several fish in our pattern. We tried to get them to go on Ballyhoo, green jacks and sardines. At the end of the day we were zero for 6 good shots. It was a very beautiful day on the water but not what any of us had hoped for.

The following morning I knew we needed to make some ajustments. Getting an early start we ran in shore of the location we had fished the day before. I had seen bait there a couple of days earlier and we found a school of small skipjack foaming on the surface. We were able to catch and fill our tuna tubes with this great bait in short order and were in business.

We started slow trolling the skipjack and also put one deep with our down rigger. The area looked dead and I was starting to wonder if we had made a mistake when bam! The down rigger bait got bit. It was a marlin and when it surfaced it brought a whole school of marlin with it. Wham! We hooked a second fish and had a double going. Another boat near us trolled by and hung one.

BD5-10-2.JPG

Tom Shellenberger and Tim Keogh going different directions with fish on.

BD5-10-3.JPG

Jen Wren III deckhand Diego leadering Tim's fish

BD5-10-4.JPG

Tom gets a photo before releasing his

BD5-10-5.JPG

Bendo! Mike Wilson hangs a fish

BD5-10-6.JPG

and the hat trick

BD5-10-7.JPG

Colin Fryer brings one to leader and releases it.

BD5-10-1.JPG

The boys celebrate with a Pacifico after a great day of fishing.

It is all about making ajustments for success.

Mark Rayor

http://www.thejenwren.com/

http://www.vistaseasport.com/

markrayor.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...