Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Alloy is the way to go...

I don't know why most people DON'T GET IT , why would you want something that goes in Salt Water , get blood and guts, Puke, urine [ some can't aim or aint loooong enough ] pull it out and spend 100's if not 1000's to clean it/keep it clean. Why would you want a boat that just beaching it could cost $1000.00's .

Why would you want a boat that gets rock chips on the High Way..

Why not have a Dive boat made out of Alloy , Tanks and weight belts don't hurt it, you can have killer side entry doors. Why not have a guide boat that Kids and non boaters cant hurt with Weights and all the stuff listed above.

I would like to hear reasons why they are not considered and legitimate reasons why . Also if you did look at a Alloy boat WHAT would YOU WANT in/on your Alloy boat.

This isn't a , MY BOATS BETTER THAN YOUR BOAT thread , just trying to get some talk going here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more concerns than a glass boat IF the right Alloy is used [ Marine Grade Alloy ] and the proper protection is used just as with a glass boat .

One of the really nice things about Plate Alloy is when you haul out and want to pressure wash it just hammer down as the algae and other critters do NOT get into the Alloy and it does NOT delaminate.

I think alloy boats have a lot of positives. From a marketing standpoint, I always assumed the biggest hurtles to overcome were the lack of alloy to take on sexy compound curves and the noise/sound of the boats in rough water. They are certainly tough and are well suited to lots of applications. What is the pricing like on a welded aluminum boat versus the same hull build in a female mold for glass?

Yes Prowler, I am in your general area so was it salt or out waters, what did you dislike about the alloy?

I worry about them in the salt , can't use reg bottom paint , don't ride as well , noisy ( goes for steel as well) what if you do damage it ? how do you make it look good ? easy on wood or glass even steel as its painted .

maybe a great boat for some but not for me

what do you paint them with? Why don't they ride well, too light?. I'm looking for something to pound around in the bay which as you know is quite choppy. I like the low maintenance angle but is it so in warm salt water? Have not seen any around or in SC or Fla. I am sure there are some but why have they not caught on here like in the North and on the left coast

Edited by mobjack22