Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

GUYS, I NEED YOUR HELP...THANK YOU

While I am heartbroken to learn of this horrifying accident, I can't help but wonder what the whole story is. The fact that a collision occurred means that some one was where they should not have been. I gather that the boat with the boy was not moving while the other obviously was. Was it day or night? Was the stopped boat in the channel? What would have prevented the other boater from seeing this vessel in his path and not taking steps to avoid it? Just curious.

Also, not defending his actions but the operator of the whaler may have been a little shaken up himself, and while not going to the hospital with the injured was skeevy, it may be that he was just not thinking straight under the stressful conditions. If I were in his place I'd want people to give me the benefit of the doubt.

While I am heartbroken to learn of this horrifying accident, I can't help but wonder what the whole story is. The fact that a collision occurred means that some one was where they should not have been. I gather that the boat with the boy was not moving while the other obviously was. Was it day or night? Was the stopped boat in the channel? What would have prevented the other boater from seeing this vessel in his path and not taking steps to avoid it? Just curious.

Also, not defending his actions but the operator of the whaler may have been a little shaken up himself, and while not going to the hospital with the injured was skeevy, it may be that he was just not thinking straight under the stressful conditions. If I were in his place I'd want people to give me the benefit of the doubt.

To set the record straight.. I do know both parties involved. One is a friend, and the other an aquaintance that I see regularily on this bayou/river. My info comes from Mark Richardson, and the rescue air boat driver that happened to be working for me that day, and was on his way home..via the waterway. The bayou in that particular section is an area that both boaters are well aware of. I live only a 1/4 mile away from it, Mark is on the water about every weekend, and the boat that ran over them George E Brower II also has a weekend location just up the river from me...so everyone is aware of it. Im still waiting for the tox report..and I know that The Richardsons..just from hanging out with them..will pass...the other guy..I cant say, cause I know that I will be involved. The Richardson were just getting going after checking a trout line, and were on the correct side, when the other boat hung it on the wrong side to avoid the sand bar, and ran over the top of them...there are a few more details after that that I have to leave out..but bottom line..they fled the scene..Bottom line a beautiful boy was killed, a father has a loss of his son, an uncle that doesnt even want to be on the water way again...devastation..due to senceless behavior.. I apologize for the poor spelling..spell check not working.. Thank You Jeff Jassby