Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

How are Evinrudes these days?

I know several folks that have E-tec outboards and they have nothing but good things to say about them. BRP is a good company with a lot of technical backing.

No matter what brand you look at you need to assess the local service for that brand. Buy a Yammie, a Merc, Suzzu, Honda or any brand and sooner or latter you'll need maintenance. That's the biggest issue some of the brands have is they have a strong following in some areas but not in others.

Well, like I said the best damn motor I ever saw was my Dad's circa '63 Evinrude. I think 10 hp? Anyway, that thing went duck hunting, flounder fishing, striper fishing... churning through weeds and mud. Don't think it ever went to the shop!!!!... definition of bullet proof motor. I've owned- '81 9.9 Mariner ( my sone uses it now, still runs liek a top! I think it's actually a Yamaha? not sure) 90 hp Mercury (no bad but was in the shop too much) and a 25hp Honda (great motor!) I'm looking to buy used 21-23' cc. It's a shame but i I see a Johnson or Evinrude hanging on it I pass over it. My one buddy says stay away from them. The purpose of my post was not to bash, but enlighten. I was hoping their reputation was improving. They used to be the most reliable motors made.

NEW to this site; Have a 2006 250 Etech. on a 23 CC in the Keys. Had T225 Yamaha's on a 2870 Pursuit before. The Yamaha's were always being fixed due to oxygen sensor failure. The Etech has never let me down so far. Big Pine Sea Center is a first class outfit. So like someone else said, depends on what you have and who does the fixing? Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...