Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are Boat Shows a Thing of the Past?

I am sure I am one of the less "desirable" types of customers dealers are looking for because I can't see myself ever buying a new boat. I am a middle class guy that can't bear the depreciation so unless I win the lottery will be one of those guys that looks for a good used boat. As far as boat shows are concerned, I think they will always have a place as far as consumers are concerned. Looking on the internet is nice but actually being able to see a boat, compare features, etc.. can't be done on the net. My sons and I love go to the boat show in Charleston every year even though I have no intention of buying a boat. The opportunity to see new products and dream about what might be one day is worth the price of admission.

Boat Shows are great. There is not a better way of telling the quality and feel of a boat that getting in one and actually laying your hands on it. Everyone can read on the internet and look at spec's. But it just doesn't cut it. Plus, I think it is a good way for manufacturers to hear what the public thinks about various facets of their designs. What looks great on paper and in the brochure may be terrible when put into use offshore. How else are you going to get the uncut feedback from consumers?

I bought a Brand New Hydra Sports 2800 Vector. In the first month they flooded me with mailer's asking for opinions on the boat. You are still in the Honey Moon stage at that point and probably haven't even got it rigged out the way you want it yet. Within a couple of months I had rewired and added to the Perko battery switch systems, added the Yamaha secondary charging cables, Battery maintainer, re-plumbed the live well, put Wedges on the Yamaha F250's and on and on. Things that the manufacturer should have on the boat from stock (especially the Wedges and Battery Switch system). They never heard about that from me until the following year at the Miami Boat Show.

Without the actual face to face time a Boat Show provides I think both the consumer and manufacturer would make assumptions that neither would prosper from.

Edited by Sans Peur

You've been in the marine industry for a long time. Do you own a boat ? How do you pick the one you want ?

I am lucky: I live in S Florida. I never miss a boat show in Lauderdale, Miami or West Palm Beach. They are events, each with their own appeal. It seems that I always have a friend looking to buy a boat for these shows. It is an ideal place to develop ideas and decide on features and electronics. Plus, the water tests open up more possibilities.

For example, this year I was with a buddy who bought a trip/36CC. He was looking at all the big CC consoles to see where he would set the wheel, gauges, the electronics and controls. We water tested a similar trip CC boat and asked the V. competent captain what he preferred.. You cannot get any of this online. Then, to see the electronics you are considering and mess with them on the demo strips..

Then there are the engine makers, promo discounts, plastic surgery, warm beers, booth Ladies.. It's all good. I do fall victim to impulse buying as well...

Marc

Just looking for opinions here. Are you still attending shows? Are they still viable? Do they still have something to offer the buying public; or is the internet the best way to gather information? As a long time industry person; I'm curious as to the input we might get from dealers and buyers alike. Let's hear it!!

Good topic and question Jim.

Last few years, a dealer attending a show, spending $20,000-$30,000 and more for the space, not to mention the logistics, all the realted expenses, vs. the boats sold at the show, makes for a very valid question.

For the last few years, an often spoken about issue.

You know what I'm saying without my saying all of it to you, of course.

I think shows are very good for the consumer.

An opportunity to see all under one roof, with all of us trying to earn the business.

On the other hand, how much longer can the expense of the major shows be justified?

I've just spent over two weeks moving boats, setting up the Miami display, working in the display every day, then breaking it down and transporting boats again. You dont need me to tell you as to the costs of it all. And, for the last two years we've scaled down our display and expenses substantially, both Miami and Lauderdale. Also, as you well know, the $20,000-$30,000 that I mentioned has nothing to do with the costs of shows like Miami, Lauderdale, and yours.

Very good question you posted.