Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mast Head Light

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King, your setup looks fine. Different setups for different people.

Agreed it does look ok and will work. I was just thinking it would look more symmetrical if the antennas would have fit flush on the flat part of the mast. And it would have put his light well above the antennas.

ALL

The reason i visit this site and other forums is looking for ideas and suggestions. I believe that was kingairs intention as well. We can all see that his mount it will work however its nice to get other ideas too.

Ex,

One of the biggest problems that was presented when King proffered his request for opinions on the install is that the mounting platform had already been bought, powder-coated, and paid for. The Raystar 125 beacon clearly looks as if it would over hang the edges of the mount if it indeed were flush mounted with out the base. That being said, King had already committed himself.

We all have different ways of doing things. Some are clearly better than others. Some, it is 6 of one, half-dozen of another. Myself? I would have flush mounted the pucks to the hardtop and used a 24" fold-down anchor light t/bolted at the aft end, no mount needed...but that's just me. :1992_beer_cheer: :1992_beer_cheer:

Ex,

Myself? I would have flush mounted the pucks to the hardtop and used a 24" fold-down anchor light t/bolted at the aft end, no mount needed...but that's just me. :1992_beer_cheer: :1992_beer_cheer:

I believe that is a no no when you have a radar Or so all the MFG instruction manuals say. :1992_beer_cheer::1992_beer_cheer:

I wanted to put mine flush on the top but researched it at the time and the general consensus was that it was not a good idea

Sorry,

Screwed up that last post as I didn't do my research as dilligently as I should have. If the Radome has a typical bandwidth of 25 degs, and assuming it is flush mounted (which it won't be), you can flush mount GPS/weather antennas between approx. 39" and 45.3" away from the radome. If the radome is elevated, the distance increases.

Myself? I would have flush mounted the pucks to the hardtop and used a 24" fold-down anchor light t/bolted at the aft end, no mount needed...but that's just me. :1992_beer_cheer: :1992_beer_cheer:

mounting the gps antenna in the fashion you presented,that would be incorrect.gps antennas should never be in line with the radar beam.having a gps antenna in line with the radar beam,it can and will cause problems,in the case of the lowrance units,it can actually cause the gps to lose it's signal.these antennas need to be higher than the radar antenna.the mast head light,that needs to be at the highest point on the top,for obvious reasons...

Delete the post.

I am not wanting to start anything either this is just a friendly disscussion. :1992_beer_cheer:

I got to read your post before the delete. I did a lot of research on this matter when i did my install i belive in the garmin gps manual it states that the attennas are best mounted above the radar beam. That said i know that a lot of people have them mounted below and they do work.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSMAP3005C...nstructions.pdf

That was my bad, I didn't at first read, see the part about being in the bandwidth. However, if one does a little geometry, there is a window where pucks can be mounted flush, yet still meet both guidelines of being no closer than 1 meter to the radome, as well as not being within the beamwidth, which would be 12.5deg below the centerline of the radome.

Jimmy, it's good to see you. Welcome aboard. :1992_beer_cheer: