Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What do you think of a (magazine/Guide) that publishes inshore GPS numbers?

There is a state wide magazine that in the last two issues published about eight fishing locations that are "Tight-lipped" by most of the local guides.

Me as a native guide here in Charleston think its very wrong for one; the magazine to publish, and two; for another guide to give away locations (for publicity reasons) that we (other guides) have found to be productive in our line of business.

Its just something you dont do. Now every body that knows how to use a GPS will be there every chance they get, and the next thing you know, ALL of the fish will be gone. I have seen it happen to many times.

Don't get me wrong,,,I'm not saying that the weekend warrior shouldn't go out and catch fish and have a good time. A good fishing location is something you earn. And Its something you just dont GIVE away.........................

I just dont think its right.....Whats your comment?

I would love to have their numbers :239_fishing:

No!!!, These guides work hard for those numbers. They do more for the preservation of the fisheries than most. Its how they feed their families. As stated by Capt Rick " ALL of the fish will be gone". :(

Hell, I can't find them now :504_shrugging:

While casting the net for bait. If I load up the net and if there is a passing guide I will ask him if he needs any bait.

It's the right thing to do. :605_thumbs_up:

Here is an E-mail that I received from a retired Marine Biologists here in Charleston,SC that worked here at DNR,,,

Rick,

Did you see the latest issue of (The magazine)? I didn't know that fishing guides gave away the numbers on which they base their way of making a living. It turns out that (the guide) gave away a significant number of my fishing spots. To locate these, I've spent many hours running around and checking the river. Fishing pressure is pretty light on the river. You can go out during the week and maybe see five or six other boats. Most of them are guides (seasonally) working out of the Marina. When there are boats out there, the anglers are courteous and give you space. After people read (The Guide's) article, I'll bet you have an increase in folks on the river, especially at my spots. I don't understand why he gave away all the best spots in the river. I'll bet there are a bunch of guides who are real pissed at him. I don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling towards him - when someone gets something for nothing they don't appreciate it - I bet that there were fishermen and friends who showed him where to go at what tide; he sold them out. Gives guides a bad rep.

Edited by Capt Rick Hiott

It's probably not as bad as it might seem. There are several spots that I've fished that you can throw 10' on either side of where you should throw and you seldom get a bite. Other spots that if you fish too high or too low your odd decrease. I remember fishing a spot that I had fished with someone and I couldn't remember the tide we fished it on. I sat there on the same spot for about 6 hours until the fish showed up. There are a bunch of folks that will go to the numbers and fish them wrong and they'll move back to spots where they know how to fish. The kind of person that will actually spend time learning how to fish a spot probably would have found those spots eventually just by riding by and seeing you fish there.

This guy obviously had some reason for doing what he did. Doesn't seem considerate to the other guides and a clear violation of the code ("more what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules") so I suspect there's more to the story, if you know what I mean.

• 1 month later...