Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Thinking of a new TV

IMHO you don't need LED. Just figure out the viewing distance, which will then tell you what size screen you need. Then go find a Samsung LCD 120Hz 1080p panel with the right number of HDMI inputs that you will need and buy it.

No need to spend for anything more than this.

I had bought a 32" old style TV from wally world when they still were available... 7ish years ago?? I'm thinkin a couple hundred for it. Well, it wasn't working and I had a comcast Tec. tell me the TV was no good. So I was actually pretty excited that I had a legitimate reason to go buy a new state of the art high tech TV. Well When I got it home... It didn't work either... I went and got a new cable box at the Comcast office and Walla , it worked. The thing isn't half as good as what I had so back it went. Now I need to find a real TV. What the heck is HDMI???? This is for my workshop where I am working on lobster pots when I'm not out fishing so I stand about10 or 12 feet from the TV. the 40" I just had looked really small compared to the old 32. the shop is 36 feet long and it is a shop so I really want a cheap TV. But I need to be able to see letters as in watching the weather channels Heather Dish.... I mean reading the forcast, etc...

This is for my workshop where I am working on lobster pots when I'm not out fishing......

My post assumed you were going to use it indoors for High Definition viewing. BTW HDMI is the latest digital cable system for audio visual gear and stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface.

You will need to connect your comcast box to the Tv via HDMI if you want the best high def picture.

But given you will only be using this in the shop, you probably don't need to go to that extent.

Your 40" looking smaller than the older TV is probably because it is a widescreen set vs the old aspect ratio of 4:3. You will notice all new sets are wider than they are tall. If viewing a lot of 4:3 ratio broadcasts, they viewing area can be smaller than what you might see on a 4:3 screen.

Sorry if all I have done is confuse you!

This is for my workshop where I am working on lobster pots when I'm not out fishing......

My post assumed you were going to use it indoors for High Definition viewing. BTW HDMI is the latest digital cable system for audio visual gear and stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface.

You will need to connect your comcast box to the Tv via HDMI if you want the best high def picture.

But given you will only be using this in the shop, you probably don't need to go to that extent.

Your 40" looking smaller than the older TV is probably because it is a widescreen set vs the old aspect ratio of 4:3. You will notice all new sets are wider than they are tall. If viewing a lot of 4:3 ratio broadcasts, they viewing area can be smaller than what you might see on a 4:3 screen.

Sorry if all I have done is confuse you!

Nope ya didn't get me confused,,, I found one.. but now I found out the sales decription was wrong so now I have something less than what I thought I bought... It still is pretty nice but thats not the point IMO B)