Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Highway through the Serengeti

Having just returned from the Serengeti I can attest to the awesome beauty of the "Endless Plain". I saw almost all the animals,reptiles and birds Tanzania has to offer with the notable exception of the Black Rhino of which there are only 18 left in the Park which is roughly the size of the State of Connecticut! This is due to poaching. The Black Rhino's horn is prized by the Oriental folks as an aphrodisiac. Sad but worse is the road through the Serengeti which is the brainchild of the recently reelected President. The effect on the ecosystem of the Park and the wildlife of Tanzania and Kenya can and will be disastrous.

Read the enclosed article and if you feel strongly against it, as I do,drop a line or if so inclined make a donation to the African Wildlife Foundation or the World Wildlife Federation so that we may stop this travesty on what is perhaps our last great frontier.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/road-kill-in-the-serengeti/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wanted to see all 1800 of them I would come over and let you ply me with lots of booze to go with the home video!

Just the highlights man, just the highlights!

If I wanted to see all 1800 of them I would come over and let you ply me with lots of booze to go with the home video!

Just the highlights man, just the highlights!

I am in the process of compiling a Photo Show. Be careful or I'll invite you to see it. :1121_wink:

Here are the accomodations in the Serengeti. It's a moveable camp which is strategically placed near the latest migration route. Very comfortable and the beer is free in the camp.That's a 16 oz. bottle of Kilimanjaro, one of the Tanzanian beers. There is also N'Dovu, Castle, Tusker and Serengeti. I tried them all and they are all good.

IMG_1978.jpg

This guy is taking a snooze after munching on a gazelle which he had stashed in the crotch of this tree. I didn't see him make the kill but I did see the sumbitch climb the tree with the gazelle in his mouth!

IMG_1769.jpg

This pic is a little blurred I'll search for a better one.........later.

I'll have to "C&P" a better one :rolleyes::P

Having just returned from the Serengeti I can attest to the awesome beauty of the "Endless Plain". I saw almost all the animals,reptiles and birds Tanzania has to offer with the notable exception of the Black Rhino of which there are only 18 left in the Park which is roughly the size of the State of Connecticut! This is due to poaching. The Black Rhino's horn is prized by the Oriental folks as an aphrodisiac. Sad but worse is the road through the Serengeti which is the brainchild of the recently reelected President. The effect on the ecosystem of the Park and the wildlife of Tanzania and Kenya can and will be disastrous.

Read the enclosed article and if you feel strongly against it, as I do,drop a line or if so inclined make a donation to the African Wildlife Foundation or the World Wildlife Federation so that we may stop this travesty on what is perhaps our last great frontier.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/15/road-kill-in-the-serengeti/

Any conservationists out there????? :504_shrugging:

Wow, what an adventure. How long where you there? What where the logistics ie how did you book in country? I wouldn't know where to even begin. Would you do it again if money wasn't a consideration? My eyes are wide open! More pictures please.