Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Hydra-Sports owners who have repowered with yamaha

To any owners of Hydra-Sports 2796 owners who have repowered from evinrudes to yamaha f250.

Did you experience any problems with the ride because of extra weight?

If so how did you fix it?

Did you use wedges?

Did you use 4 blade prop? If so which one.

Which hole are the motors set in.

Did you add weight ton the bow?

Any help will be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

Which Yamaha's did you put on? My 2800 Vector had F250's and the ride was terrible. It would bounce on me unless I put the tabs down most all the way. The tabs would create allot of drag and reduce steering something awful. I put wedges on the engines and it was a Major Miracle. The boat went from bouncing and a bunch of tab to rock solid and I only used the tabs for leveling to compensate for weight. The Yamaha four strokes do not have much (if any) negative tilt to them. The wedges compensate for that.

The boat will dictate the engine height. The ventilation plate should be just at the surface of the water while running. Measure how far back from the bottom of the hull the leading edge of the engine is. If I remember correct for every foot the plate should be 1 inch above. Take a straight edge and come off the bottom of the hull and measure where the plate should be up from there.

My boat ran great with the 3 blade 19 pitch salt water series props. I never tried anything else on it. They allowed me to run mid 50's and I didn't have to do any throttle work when running with the sea's.

post-1737-089128500 1291239270_thumb.jpg

To any owners of Hydra-Sports 2796 owners who have repowered from evinrudes to yamaha f250.

Besides all new cables, controls, gauges, and wiring, you may have to fill the transom mounting holes and redrill them farther apart to fit the Yamaha motors. Likely your engines are at 26" centers and Yamaha V6's need about 27 1/2" centers to clear each other. That may also put a bind on the rigging cable on the stb. engine if it hits the edge of the end of the transom. Measure carefully before committing to the motors.

Edited by seahorse

Which Yamaha's did you put on? My 2800 Vector had F250's and the ride was terrible. It would bounce on me unless I put the tabs down most all the way. The tabs would create allot of drag and reduce steering something awful. I put wedges on the engines and it was a Major Miracle. The boat went from bouncing and a bunch of tab to rock solid and I only used the tabs for leveling to compensate for weight. The Yamaha four strokes do not have much (if any) negative tilt to them. The wedges compensate for that.

The boat will dictate the engine height. The ventilation plate should be just at the surface of the water while running. Measure how far back from the bottom of the hull the leading edge of the engine is. If I remember correct for every foot the plate should be 1 inch above. Take a straight edge and come off the bottom of the hull and measure where the plate should be up from there.

My boat ran great with the 3 blade 19 pitch salt water series props. I never tried anything else on it. They allowed me to run mid 50's and I didn't have to do any throttle work when running with the sea's.

We put F250 on.

Thanks for that sounds just like my problem. Just had wedges fitted not had chance to try the boat since.

Post up when you do. You are going to be amazed at the difference. I know it was like night and day for me.

Do you have the motors trimmed all the way down?

The pic I posted was Before the wedges were added. I was running over to Egmont Key for a day of R&R. If I remember correct the Gulf was very flat and I was running in the 50's. I can never go slow, just not in my blood!

Did you use wedges?

Moses0 if I was correct by reccomending you put wedges on , and they fix your issues....I want credit :1143_neener_neener_neener::rolleyes:

Edited by 1NO REGRETS

Did you use wedges?

Moses0 if I was correct by reccomending you put wedges on , and they fix your issues....I want credit :1143_neener_neener_neener::rolleyes:

Sorry mate but got lots of advice before this over on THT

Did you use wedges?

I will admit yours was the most encouraging :)