Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Reel Decision

Andya

Here is what I am looking at. I have Shimano Baitrunner 4500's for my spinning reels with braid. I use these when I'm doing bottom fishing with the kids and doing alot of casting. I also have a penn 7500SSM for heavier weight and surf fishing.

I am now looking to replace all the crappy gear that my dad has bought with me when I was young for trolling/boat duty. I'm looking at the following and having a hard time picking:

Shimano tld 15 - lowest price but best line capacity and drag

Avet mxl 5.8 - ~50 bucks more and has the ability to cast, less drag and line capacity

I like the idea of having a trolling reel that also has the cast control so if I want to use it for bottom fishing larger species, I can. It's amazing how fast a reel can backlash when tossing baits or rigs out.

Any thoughts?

Both good reels. Try going to reddrumtackle.com. These guys are in buxton, NC. (The point at Cape Hatteras). They modify reels for max. distance and preformance. for example, bait casters like penn 525 mag. these guys can hook you up in your price range.

Check them out. A lot of good info on the site also.

Perhape someone can chime in with sone more info.

If it was me,,,,I would stay away from the Avet.

Have you looked at Penn?

I have not. I have a bunch of low end penn stuff that is fine, but I had not seen much in the Lever Drag that I liked. I bought one TLD 15 off ebay that is new and now I'm trying to figure out what to spool it with for a mix of trolling and bottom fishing. Thinking about putting a backing of mono and then 30# braid.

I think the TLD15's off ebay are going to be what I go with since the cost is hard to beat. Looks like I can get brand new ones for less than 100 each and just slowly pick them up over this winter.

For what it's worth, I like to have reels dedicated to the task. I have my bottom rods rigged with Saltist reels. I troll with TLDs. My spinner is the only multi-tasker. I use it for casting and bottom fishing for snapper in water less than 100ft. The spinner is a Shimano Saragosa 8000, a true multi-tasker.

• 2 months later...

If it was me,,,,I would stay away from the Avet.

Have you looked at Penn?

I have not. I have a bunch of low end penn stuff that is fine, but I had not seen much in the Lever Drag that I liked. I bought one TLD 15 off ebay that is new and now I'm trying to figure out what to spool it with for a mix of trolling and bottom fishing. Thinking about putting a backing of mono and then 30# braid.

I think the TLD15's off ebay are going to be what I go with since the cost is hard to beat. Looks like I can get brand new ones for less than 100 each and just slowly pick them up over this winter.

+ 1