Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Battery Replacement

Been reading through the "Let's talk batteries" thread and it got me thinking.

I currently have two starting batteries, one used for the engine and one used as house battery. They are hooked via a Bluesea Add-a-battery kit (ACR and switch with off/on/combine) The house battery is dead as it has been being completely drained a couple of times and needs to be replaced. What are my options as far as replacing just the one? I know the rule of thumb is replace all at once but why if the are seperated 95% of the time? Can I replace the house with an AGM/gel battery? I am thinking of just replacing the house with a deep cycle marine house battery but going with a better AGM/gel battery might be better off in the long run.

-Svence

Do not mix batteries and yes it sucks to replace both of them .

You want matched batteries and keep them maintained the same . A older battery [ Read , weaker ] can bring down a good battery real quick and cause them both to fail AGAIN when use together .

• 2 weeks later...
So pick up a new start and a new deep cycle at the same time, I was hoping you weren't going to say that.

-Svence

You shouldn't put a deep cycle and a starting battery on the same circuit. They are for different purposes and have different charging requirements.

You shouldn't put a deep cycle and a starting battery on the same circuit. They are for different purposes and have different charging requirements.

How are people running deep cycle batteries then when you only have one outboard? I have the Blue Sea add-a-battery kit installed to keep them separated on discharge 99% of the time and the acr for charging them.

-Svence

How are people running deep cycle batteries then when you only have one outboard? I have the Blue Sea add-a-battery kit installed to keep them separated on discharge 99% of the time and the acr for charging them.

-Svence

Based upon what you are saying it seems that the batteries are separated and have different duty cycles.

The house battery probably does have a harder service life and could be replaced by its self.

Since you don't replace all the batteries every year I like the idea of doing them separate, that way you always have a new battery on board.