Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

I'm curious--How Many Have an EPIRB?

Has anyone used the SPOT and can tell me how it preforms (like you used it in the islands) . I have read articles about them but not first hand. I plan on getting something once the boat is done with her makeover. I really want it for my boys as the don't have the offshore experience that I do. It will be part of my ditch bag.

I have the Spot, and it works as advertized. Mainly its for letting family and friends know where you are and that you are ok. It can also let them know where you are and that you need help in a non-life threatening situation. It has a 911 feature, and this prompts an actual phone call to the nearest emergency responder telling them where you were when the signal came in. But the responders do not have the ability to recieve the Spot signal and go directly to your real time location.

So for a real life threatening situation, the Spot is no substitute for the epirb, which sends a signal that can be directly honed in on by the coast guard.

Funny, I started this thread, and I am just now getting ready to order my first epirb tomorrow. Going on vacation and taking my whole family--no doubt we will all be out together. Just seems a relatively small expense for that much protection.

The spot's performance is spotty at best. I have one, but I have not used it for more than a year. Spot uses the Globalstar satellites and Globalstar sucks in my area. The last time I tested the spot I got a record of my trip about 50% of the time. It's a cool toy when it works, but I would not bet my life on it. With PLBs in the market for $250, why take the risk.

• 2 years later...