Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What constitutes "offshore"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here in Australia we have a slightly different system, the two classifications are enclosed waters and open waters. This resolves the whole coastal thing, if your on water that is enclosed by the shore (river, bay, estuary) your enclosed, exit through the harbour, river bar etc and your in open waters. Our safety requirements for open waters are;

1 Lifejacket type 1 per person

1 anchor and chain/line

1 bailer/bucket for vessels with open bilges, bilge pump for covered bilges

1 magnetic compass

2 red hand held distress flares

2 orange smoke hand held distress flares

1 406MHz EPIRD if 2 nm or more offshore

1 fire bucket if no bailing bucket carried

1 fire extinguisher for vessels with electric start, electric motors, battery, gas or fuel stoves

1 map or chart or the area (paper not electronic)

Marine radio

Paddle or oars in vessels under 6m unless a second means of propulsion is fitted

1 safety/capacity label

1 sound signal (air horn/whistle/bell)

1 v-sheet (orange)

2L drinking water per person

1 waterproof floating torch

I carry all of the above in my 5.3m cc without too many dramas. Regarding the EPIRB I find it a little odd that people who are happy to put $600 worth of fuel in their boats every trip or two baulk at spending this once on a really useful safety device :471_confused_face:?

3500GPH Rule ???? A one armed man with a 2 gallon bucket could give a 3500GPH rule 3/4's of an hour head start and still beat it.

Where did you hear this crock of s,,t?

Have you tried it?

It's only true for an 8' dink.

After 15 minutes bailing you wanna die rather than pick up that bucket again. The bilge pump is still going..

Yep electric bilge pumps work wonders when the battery is under water :rolleyes:

Way too many people have way too much faith into all things electric.

When you have the "choice" you will pick up that bucket, regardless.

Hi All,

Here in New South Wales Australia we have a slightly different system, the two classifications are enclosed waters and open waters. This resolves the whole coastal thing, if your on water that is enclosed by the shore (river, bay, estuary) your enclosed, exit through the harbour, river bar etc and your in open waters. Our safety requirements for open waters are;

1 anchor and chain/line

1 magnetic compass

1 fire extinguisher for vessels with electric start, electric motors, battery, gas or fuel stoves

Marine radio

Paddle or oars in vessels under 6m unless a second means of propulsion is fitted

1 safety/capacity label

1 v-sheet (orange)

I carry all of the above in my 5.3m cc without too many dramas. Regarding the EPIRB I find it a little odd that people who are happy to put $600 worth of fuel in their boats every trip or two baulk at spending this once on a really useful safety device :471_confused_face:?

Reason for edit: Not standard :D

Hi All,

Here in Australia we have a slightly different system, the two classifications are enclosed waters and open waters. This resolves the whole coastal thing, if your on water that is enclosed by the shore (river, bay, estuary) your enclosed, exit through the harbour, river bar etc and your in open waters. Our safety requirements for open waters are;

1 anchor and chain/line

1 magnetic compass

Marine radio

1 safety/capacity label

1 v-sheet (orange)

I agree. But you dont sound Australian.

I agree. But you dont sound Australian.

Of course he sounds Australian :471_confused_face: even more there are lots of us :2403_worshipper: you know we are the ones that invented the "real" modern day catamaran :1121_wink: and you lot are the ones 15 years behind still catching up :2261_high::D

We are from oz and we are here to help you :605_thumbs_up:

Edited by Kerry