Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

What constitutes "offshore"?

I was wondering if there is an accepted distance from land that constitutes "offshore". We all have our opinions on what we feel safe doing and I've read plenty of threads where people say they would never go offshore without one or more of the following:

• life jackets (shouldn't leave the dock w/o those...)
  • a VHF
  • twins
  • a HH backup VHF
  • an SSB radio
  • a PLB
  • an EPIRB
  • a life raft
  • a SAT phone
  • a sea anchor

For me personally, I've got twins and two VHF radios (one fixed mount and a waterproof handheld, both with GPS-enabled DSC). Of course I always let someone know where I'm going and about when I expect to be back. With that setup, I'm comfortable out to 30 miles, though 90% of my boating is within 20 nautical miles of shore. My thinking is that's generally within VHF range of shore for my fixed-mount and if I end up in the drink without getting off a mayday or have some type of electrical failure, I could likely raise a nearby boat or a rescue plane on the handheld.

I know it's always better to have more safety equipment than less, but assuming safe sea conditions for the boat, is there a point beyond which generally accepted practice says you should have additional equipment (e.g. EPIRB, life raft, etc.)? What would be your priorities for a 50 mile trip? How about 100 miles?

With regard weather forecasts "offshore" is generally considered beyond 60nm

Not sure that's true re boating distance. I always believed that if you were within sight of land it was inshore, out of sight of land, offshore.

I would not count on a hand held the range is short ,even shorter in your in the water . you can get a PLB for under 300 bucks .

Yep. I've not tested it, but I'd be surprised to get more than 2 or 3 miles from the handheld if you're in the water. The range for DSC might be better since it's a digital burst vs. voice transmission. Either way, it's probably not good. That's why I said I'd hope to raise a nearby boat or at least communicate with a resuce plane using the handheld vs. trying to reach shore.

Agree on the PLB. It's just a matter of time and money...

200 miles and out is Off Shore.

Less than 200 is Near Shore.

Ok. So what would be your minimum equipment for a 50-mile near-shore trip? Again, assuming a boat and sea conditions appropriate for the trip.

How often do you go out that far. If regularly I would invest in a EPIRB. If once or twice a year you can rent them from BoatUS.

If 100 miles regularly then self-inflating life-raft and upgraded PFD with flashing lights.

Edited by Menzies

How often do you go out that far. If regularly I would invest in a EPIRB. If once or twice a year you can rent them from BoatUS.

If 100 miles regularly then self-inflating life-raft and upgraded PFD with flashing lights.

Well, never actually. Most of my trips are within 25 miles of shore, with some out to 30 a couple times per year. For me, I'm thinking the rent option is a good way to go for those few trips where I'm potentially out of VHF range.

So maybe a good rule of thumb is out to 25 miles (generally within VHF range for a fixed-mount) no EPRIB required. Beyond 25 miles, rent or buy an EPRIB or get a PLB. As was mentioned previously, a PLB would definitely add an extra margin of safety for inshore (within 25 miles) trips for situations where the fix-mount VHF wasn't working.