Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Tow Bar for Inflateables

LTE

I have a Hurricane 217 Sundeck that we purchased new with the factory tow bar option. The bar is a typical cantilevered design and is bent after a few seasons to the point of requiring replacement. We primarily tow a two person tube as opposed to skiers and so I see no value in replacing the bar with one of the same design (the dealers agrees and admits this is a common problem when pulling inflatables). Anyone out there have pictures and/or knowledge of a manufacturer of a better tow bar design that might retrofit on our boat?

post-7445-000700700 1284471022_thumb.jpg

post-7445-001890900 1284471063_thumb.jpg

Ski Pylons are not meant to pull tubers (never mind a double tube). Typically they will bend and then snap. I know people use them for this, but they are not designed for it. Use a harness attached to the transom eyes (not your cleats). Even true ski boats, which have a much, much stronger ski pylon in the center of the boat tell you not to pull tubes with it.

I am surprised your dealer did not tell this to you.

Edited by knot now

Ski Pylons are not meant to pull tubers (never mind a double tube). Typically they will bend and then snap. I know people use them for this, but they are not designed for it. Use a harness attached to the transom eyes (not your cleats). Even true ski boats, which have a much, much stronger ski pylon in the center of the boat tell you not to pull tubes with it.

I am surprised your dealer did not tell this to you.

I agree with all of your comments and always felt that the cantilevered design was not adequate for pulling inflatables. The dealer has suggested construction of a custom bracket with added supports as opposed to using a harness attached to the transom eyes as I originally intended. He says that the harness is always in the boat wake and is problematic. No doubt that one could build a tow bracket that would be structurally robust enough and hack up the boat trying to find a suitable location to attach the added supports, but why? Is it that much of a constraint towing off of the transom eyes?

Towing from the transom eyes is a little more of a pain, but really is no big deal. I am sure you dealer could rig something up, but the reality is no mater what he does, it is a ton of stress- you'll be dealing with stress cracks etc. Not for nothing but your dealer sounds like he is either ignorant to the obvious or trying to make a few bucks. Either one would concern me.

Towing from the transom eyes is a little more of a pain, but really is no big deal. I am sure you dealer could rig something up, but the reality is no mater what he does, it is a ton of stress- you'll be dealing with stress cracks etc. Not for nothing but your dealer sounds like he is either ignorant to the obvious or trying to make a few bucks. Either one would concern me.

Thanks for your feedback.