Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Singapore

I'm in Singapore this week doing a little work. It's my last day here and wouldn't you know it it is pouring outside. Today's the day I was going to do some looking around since I have been pretty busy up until now. Hopefully it stops soon so I can check things out. Not sure who's been here but I'm staying at the Hilton on Orchard Street. Pretty nice place and right in the middle of everything. Attached a couple pics of the nasty weather now. :1898_: Anyone who's been here recognize the second picture? Any guesses what it is. Pretty famous place over here :1121_wink:

Singapore.jpg?t=1283919510

Singapore2.jpg?t=1283919575

The timing sticks. Hope it clears up for you. I visited Singapore about 30 years ago and I'm quite sure that it has changed quite a bit since then. The things that stuck in my memory were the alley way markets between 10+ story buildings, walking down a street that had a four star restaurant and a couple of hundred feet away was a guy cooking in a wok on top of a galvanized trash can and paying about $35 for a fifth of Jack Black. I would love to make a return visit but I can't stomach the thought of that much time in the air.

Edited by Sunbury

• 1 month later...

This was in the news this morning!

----------------------------------------

US Man Faces Caning for Overstaying Singapore Visa

Lauren Frayer

Contributor

A former Florida State football player who traveled to Singapore to get medical treatment for his pregnant wife now faces possible caning for overstaying his tourist visa. He would be the first U.S. citizen flogged in Singapore in 16 years.

Kamari Charlton, 37, was a reserve tight end for FSU from 1992 to 1996, according to NBC Sports. He now owns a construction company in his native Bahamas, where he lives with his wife. When they traveled to Singapore late last year, Charlton's wife was on a six-month medical visa, while her husband had only a three-month tourist visa.

He was arrested at the airport while trying to leave Singapore on Sept. 1, having overstayed his visa by 169 days, according to court documents excerpted by CNN. His wife was allowed to fly home to the Bahamas, and Charlton has been in jail since then.

The former football star faces a mandatory sentence of three strokes of the cane and a six-month prison sentence, if found guilty. He has a preliminary hearing in a Singapore courtroom today.

Charlton would be the first American caned in Singapore since 1994, when teenager Michael Fay was punished for vandalism. U.S. officials in the Clinton administration tried to intervene, but Fay's caning went ahead, though the government reduced the number of lashes.

In August, a Swiss man got three strokes of the cane and seven months in prison for spraying graffiti on a train.

U.S. Embassy officials have visited Charlton six times since he was arrested, Embassy spokeswoman Rachel Ehrendreich told CNN. "We remind U.S. citizens that foreigners in any country are subject to the laws of that country," she said. "We respect Singapore's right to try and sentence individuals within due process of law."

Sponsored Links In a court filing, Charlton acknowledged overstaying his visa, blaming it on bad advice he received from other foreigners in Singapore, The Wall Street Journal reported. But he's asking for leniency because unlike most immigration offenders, Charlton did not overstay his visa to take advantage of Singapore's strong economy by working illegally. Rather, he was assisting his ill wife.

Charlton's wife's stay in Singapore was legal because she was on a medical visa, seeking treatment for complications in her pregnancy. The nature of her illness is unclear, as is the reason why the couple chose Singapore for treatment.

Singapore has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, but human rights groups have criticized the city-state for harsh punishments like caning and excessive penalties like hanging drug dealers.