Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Garmin Problem

I have had a Garmin 160 Blue and now have a Garmin 441s on my boat. With both devices I experience the same problem. The depth indicator works well as low speeds but, once I get into double digit speeds (around 12 - 15 mph), the most recent depth reading starts blinking and will not change. Once I slow down or stop, the number stops blinking but the unit will not go back to detecting my depth.

I am did not replace the transducer when I bought the new Garmin as they are compatible and since I am experiencing the same problem with both units, I am fairly confident that it is the transducer. It was already on the boat when I bought it but, I suspect that maybe the transducer is improperly mounted (too much turbulence, etc..). Any thoughts from those of you more knowledgeable than me?

Thank you

Cooter probably hit it right on the head.

Sometimes bubbles produced by the chines will keep the transducer from sending or receiving the signals. You may have to move it to fix that. Look for as flat an area as you've got.

If it's a dual frequency make sure its on the right one (192/200Mhz for shallow and 50Mhz for deep water).

Depending on how close the transducer is mounted to the prop you can get enough turbulence to interfere with the transducer.

On some units there is an issue with automatic sensitivity in shallow water. You can turn off the automatic sensitivity and manually adjust the sensitivity if that's the case.

I mounted my transducer on a piece of Starboard that I screwed into the transom and sealed with 5200. This allows me to move, replace, etc without having to poke more holes into the transom below the waterline.

Edited by Sunbury

It varies but depth does not seem to be a real factor, it always happens when I speed up, regardless of whether I am in shallow water (3 - 15') or deeper water.