Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Transom/Trim Issues from Trailering

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, Bayholes are crap. My 22 year old cruiser actually had to have a stern drive replaced and the windows resealed. I guess Sea Rays are crap too because my 20 year old runabout had to have a carb rebuilt and the sterndrive repared. Oh, and the speedometer doesn't work. Someday I'll learn that I need to spend more than a few grand on my boats.

Maybe I did miss my "cornprehension" class, 'cause wasn't OldMercsRule saying how thin the glass was in the "Bayhole"?

And who mentioned a Sea Ray?

Not really.

I think the explanation of what it is probably clears up why it had a broke transom.

I think it shows that you knew it was a boat before acting like I was talking about something other then a boat, since #26 was before yer attempt to deny the example I gave of the merrits of transom braces.

Bayholes have their place, that particular boat is very light and therefore quite fast which is the attraction of it for me. Due to the lightweight construction it demonstarted for the sake of this thread that transom braces are necessary to solidify an engine on the transom from moving. You jus' seem ta have a closed mind fer some reason.

The Bayhole I have is very nice looking, (a lot of Bayholes are even though you are doin' yer best puttin' them down). I bet this little boat would give you a run fer yer money as well, as it is not slow, which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

BTW I fixed the crack in the transom with marine grade aluminum, (which you have also ignored tryin' ta denigrate me little ride), so It runs out fine now (and I still use a transom brace, fer GOOD REASON.

You mentioned towin' fer two years or some such, even though ya claimed 30 years of boatin' 'sperience. I you have the money to buy a brand new boat and tow it fer only two years then sell it and buy another brand new boat, you could prolly abuse a lot of things and get away with it.

I keep me boats fer many years and try to take care of 'em.

Me over priced $02. JR

Second attempt to reply to this thread.

I hope this is worded mildly enough to survive and be posted so others on this forum can learn from this real life experience corncernin' transom care. :)

I offered a real life example of a transom failure, (which was specifically asked for), when a brace to solidify the engine on said transom in question was not used.

My example was ridiculed fer a number of reasons, but I submit the actual experence is STILL a valid reason to use a transom brace when towing yer outboard powered boat, (and I'm not in the bidness of sellin' transom braces).

#1 The transom on the boat was solid prior to the road vibration caused damage, and actually still is solid after a crack developed that was the direct result of said over road vibration.

#2 The damage was the direct result of the engine loosely rocking on the transom during an approximate 200 mile tow over fairly smooth roads.

#3 The damage has been repaired, (the crack was filled, [with GE 5200] to block water intrusion which could lead to rot), and the transom has been wrapped in 5/16 aluminum so it is much stronger and less prone to any future damage, even if a transom brace was not used, (which it will be).

#4 This was a "boat transom" not something orbiting Mars, and the boat was a light weight boat from a low end light weight boat manufactrer, and there are many of these boats still out on the water providing joy to their owners. :D

If you have a new boat with a very heavily built transom, and you only plan to use said boat for a "couple of years" and then sell it and buy another one: by all means ignore this advice and tow without any brace on yer heavy outboard.

If you have an older boat, or a lighter weight boat, or you plan to keep yer new boat fer many years: I would pay attention to locking yer engine into a rigid formation when towing.

Even the heaviest built transoms are not immune from developing cracks from loose heavy modern outboard engines moveing fore and aft during extended tows on even the smoothest roads.

As some have also stated: it, (road vibration) also werks the hydrolics on said power trim or jack plates which is ALSO not a good thing. ;)

Transoms generally rot from water intrusion which usually results when water enters cracks that can result with a transom cracks due to harmonic vibration created from towing over the road, and or cracks from transom flex under the loads generated by a powerful outboard. Either way, it pays to minimize the potential stress to a stressed out part of yer boat, (IMHO).

Bottom line. Bayliners, "Bayholes" are lightly built and some like to put them down.

I like 'em, as they look good and are very fast.

Therefore I will tow me Bayhole with a transom brace and enjoy many many years of fun on the water, with much less transom problems due to a transom brace.

Hopefully that is what we all want here.

Me over priced $.02. JR