Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Key Largo Fishing Help

I am heading out with the family early Saturday morning to go to Key Largo for a week. Got a great looking little house on a canal on the north end of Largo Sound. My 2 boys are so excited, in fact I have never seen them so excited. My oldest (14) wants to catch a shark and a barracuda and my 8 year old wants to catch a tarpon, Ha Ha. The wife wants anything we can eat. I am looking for any tips, hints or advice from those of you familiar with that area. I don't expect your family secrets but, I am trying really hard to make this a memorable trip for the kids and catching a few fish would really do that for them. Also the name of a good bait/tackle shop would be nice.

Thanks!

I don't know Key Largo very well but, Get the "Top Spot" Chart for the upper keys, it will give you a great start on where to head plus lots of other useful information. You should be able to find at west marine or most any tackle shop.

Always fish with a bag of chum in the water. Take several as you want to start the next bag before the bag in the water is completely. That will usually bring a a variety of fun stuff to catch whether you are on the reef or the flats.

Adam's cut takes you from the Atlantic Side to the Gulf side, the current in there can be wicked.

You may find this link useful - http://forums.floridasportsman.com/node/113932

Have a great time, we're heading to Marathon next week!

No, not much size to them at all. 5-10 pounds. What they lack in size, they made up for in quantity :239_fishing: Thousands of them in big schools. I've never seen so many. Just run out to about 180' and look for birds. We picked up 2 gaffers in 700', but it was mostly dead in deep water. Not worth the ride. Too hot I think, but I'm sure not an expert on Keys fishing.

Edited by Cracker Larry