Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Zuki or E-tec

I am having my new 31 Ameracat built starting next week and I could go with either motor in the 250 HP. Any one have any thoughts of one over the other in that HP range.

both are good.....are the dealers nearbye for quick service?.....can the boat handle the extra weight of the 4 stroke? what do YOU want for an engine...2 or 4s?

I am having my new 31 Ameracat built starting next week and I could go with either motor in the 250 HP. Any one have any thoughts of one over the other in that HP range.

both are good.....are the dealers nearbye for quick service?.....can the boat handle the extra weight of the 4 stroke? what do YOU want for an engine...2 or 4s?

I really wanted 4 strokes but the Yami's are 20 % more than a Zuke. Zuki parts network sucks and Evinrude makes a great motor. I had them on the last 3 boats I owned.I just hate adding oil.

.I just hate adding oil.

How do you feel about 4-strokes having to drain dirty hot oil into a bucket, changing out an oil filter, catching any drippage, pouring 5 to 8 quarts of oil at the top of the motor, then cleaning everything up and taking the old oil to a recycling center?

With an E-TEC and the optional 3 gal. tank you don't have to do much, and you keep your hands clean. The best part it takes only a moment or two compared to a 4-stroke oil and filter change.

Edited by seahorse

.I just hate adding oil.

How do you feel about having to drain dirty hot oil, changing out an oil filter, pouring 5 to 8 quarts of oil at the top of the motor, then cleaning everything up and taking the old oil to a recycling center?

With an E-TEC and the optional 3 gal. tank you don't have to do much, and you keep your hands clean.

I went thru all the outboards in early 09 when I repowered my 23 Seacat. Conclusion: All the motors out there are good today.

I went with the 150 zukes mainly because the deal I got on them was several $$thousand$$ cheaper than all the others. I am really glad I went with them--they are fantastic motors. Super quiet too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

.I just hate adding oil.

How do you feel about 4-strokes having to drain dirty hot oil into a bucket, changing out an oil filter, catching any drippage, pouring 5 to 8 quarts of oil at the top of the motor, then cleaning everything up and taking the old oil to a recycling center?

With an E-TEC and the optional 3 gal. tank you don't have to do much, and you keep your hands clean. The best part it takes only a moment or two compared to a 4-stroke oil and filter change.

Exactly! I'm always amazed of how people make adding oil sound like such an ordeal. Its so much quicker and easier than changing oil. Especially if you have multiple engines that you rack up a lot of hours on. Like myself.

I have twin 250s and I add oil to the tanks once every month or two and it literally takes me less than two minutes and I'm done. And it can be done with the boat in the water. This may not be important to trailer boaters but it sure is for people like me that keep their boat in the water.

I have over 1800 hours on my engines.