Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Best fish finder for under $250

My Garmin died yesterday (screen no longer works, but will still sound shallow water alarm). So I am looking to upgrade to something new on a budget. I have an 18' CC that is used inshore and out 10 miles or so and would like the most bang for my buck.

Could you help me make an informed choice? Thanks!!

32 reviews and nothing.. What, no one use Fish finders any more?

No offense, but I think the problem is that most use fish finders that cost a little more :1121_wink: Heck, most good transducers cost that much.

But in that price range, you'd be better off with a high end gray scale unit, rather than a low end color unit. Even some of the gray scale machines will top $250. I've never been a fan of Eagle, but Humminbird and Lowrance make good units. The new gray scale machines have great definition and readability.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10200066____SearchResults

Sounds like you use yours like I use mine,I want to know the depth no matter the speed. Several different ones on a variety of boats always had trouble holding bottom, as well as friends with high-end units. Funny thing is the $150 Eagle on my current boat holds bottom at any speed-max speed=50mph. The transducer is sitting in the bildge with some water, not even epoxied in.