Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Bikini Patrol?

Talk about the big one that got away.

Ryan Danoff was fishing with two friends about four miles off Hollywood beach Sunday when he spied what appeared to be a mast on the horizon.

Funny thing: There was no boat underneath it.

Danoff, a Fort Lauderdale fish farmer who's on the water at least three days a week, aimed his 31-foot center console Fishy Business at the mysterious upright and found himself eye to eye with a periscope.

"It was crazy," he said. "If it was just myself out there I wouldn't believe what I saw."

Danoff moved closer. "It took off," he said. Very fast, about 20 knots. The periscope sank beneath the waves, and whatever was below the surface blew its ballast, sending aloft a mighty hiccup of bubbles. After five minutes the sea lay once again undisturbed.

Danoff, 30, reported the episode to the Coast Guard. They said they'd get back to him, but never did.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Barry Bena said Danoff's information went to the proper authorities. "As of right now, they're still looking into it," he said.

So could it have been a Navy sub taking a peek at the beach? "It's kind of uncommon," Bena said. "But it's a definite possibility."

Guest edgewater225

I was out there Saturday, but I admit I was more on the lookout for thongs instead of submarines.

How deep is the water four miles off Hollywood beach ?

Capt. Rick, I would say it's about 400 ft. of water 3 miles off.

It had to be about 15 years ago but I was in a friends boat down near the Stinkhole and we were trolling when approached by a Navy patrol boat with blue lights flashing. Said there was a sub below us that was "calibrating it's instruments" and asked us to leave. Said the depth finder and engine noise were a distraction. Later remember seeing some mention of a "degausing range" or something on a chart of that area.

Perry out of Riviera Beach often tests unmanned drones that only have exhaust and air pickups above the water.I was fishing off Palm Beach one morning and saw this bearing down on me at 15 to 20 knots.It was a bit intimidating as it passed within 500 feet of me. It is usually accompanied by a larger support vessel offsohre and Sea Tow boats closer to the actual device. If what you saw completely submerged it was not the same thing.