Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Boating Pet Peeves?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suffering from "two-footitis" and being too broke to cure it. <_<

CC Rider, I just had a very strange moment. That's my handle on another forum I'm a part of. I glanced at this thread and thought to myself "I didn't make a post on this thread?"

:471_confused_face:

- People who park their boats in the ramps and then go to get their trailers, when there are other people in other vehicles (whose boats moved away from the ramps so as not to clog them) ready to back down and load up!

Trailer first, people!

... And this goes for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission boats, which clogged two Phil Foster Park ramps at the end of Memorial Day for no obvious reason, and whose officers impolitely refused to move their boats even after I politely asked them to do so.

How about the folks who decide to bring their small kids to the ramp to play at the waters edge as you are backing down the ramp. Then give you the dirty looks for disturbing their moment.

I also hate when other boaters are done for the day, tie up at the ramp, then decide to break open the cooler, and have a picnic on the boat at the ramp.

Next year, I get a slip.

Scott

Normally not much bugs me but I think I just came up with one. So far last weekend was the second time I have come back from a day on the water and found my dock lines gone or in a heap.

My slip is next to a restarant and people think they can motor up and pull in for dinner. Mind you, there are very clear signs stating the docks are private docks and boats that are not supposed to be there will be chained up or set free. The restarant has a pier that has room for three boats to pull up to and is marked for that purpose. Pull into my slip and you will easily see that is is not on the same property. The properties are separated by a fence. You actually have to walk away from the restarant and almost walk around the block to get the the restarants front door. That alone should be a hint you are on private property and in the wrong place.

I leave my dock lines in place and coiled neatly on the dock. They are set at the perfect length so I can pull up, hop off and loop them into the cleats and I am done. Last weekend I come back and one is just thrown in a heap on the dock and two are missing. I come back last weekend and one is missing and the others are looped over cleats and hanging in the water. WTF? If the signs aren't enough, what is? At least if you pull in someplace and see the lines arranged neatly on the deck, leave them that way when you leave. Certainly don't think they are yours for the taking.

If someone comes and goes while I am gone, I could care less as long as I don't know about it. I might even let someone use the slip if asked nicely, but don't come in and leave a mess. And certainly don't be there when I get back. Had to deal with an ignorant SOB one night. After going in twice to announce there is an illegally parked boat, the guy finally stands up and says it was his and he would be right out. Fifteen minutes later he was not there. I went back in and told him either he follows me out and moves it or I set it free. Unfortunatly for him, he did not follow me out. it was halfway down the lagoon by the time he wandered out with his friends. Fortunatly the State Police dock down the way from me. They helped them back to their boat.

I feel better now :D

When you get to that spot you have been drifting to for 1/2 hour and FWC comes driving up stirring the mud and say hi I need your reregistration,fishing license ECT. I get it all the time not just once. He knows the boat as PoPs lives on a island (30 years) I just don't get it . I know he is looking for fish but after stopping us over 25 times in the last 2 1/2 years don't you think he would get the hint. If I want to keep a illegal fish I can wade out from the house on the flat and get one . I do believe in them checking us it is for our safety but heck I have 6 life jackets on the flats boat and 14 on the pontoon (only carry 8-10people max the 1/2 mile to county dock)ERRRR

Check me while running back to the house if you want to check me PLEASE!