Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are there to many forums out there?

People are riding the Facebook wave right now. It's top-notch software and fun to use. Where one may be blocked from self-promoting on web forums there are no limits on their own Facebook site. This could lead to people tiring of the concept sooner than later. All self-promotion and one liners and once you've reconnected with your old school friends you've pretty much used it up.

Forum serve a great role online. Whereas Facebook lacks an archive and sense of Community, web forums are tight knit and a wealth of information. Dependant on the forum Director they can bring insights and features you cannot find on Facebook.

It's easy to "open" a forum however it really needs to be left to the pros.

Also, most specialty forums have been reduced to nonsense, complaints and riff-raff. ReelBoating took the higher road and thus a lot of what you might call "useless posts" are never made.

Personally, I'll allow just about anything to be posted here - but there is the conception that I'm going to zap anything out of line.

Wiley,

Au contrare, I believe most of us know about the facebook/twitter/myspace thingee, but we see that as a thing kids use...

Is it just that much harder to get the word out to those in the boating community about reelboating.com, or is it something else? I mean, I see ScarabChris over there, I see Welder over there, etc. Probably Boz is over there also under a different screen name...but why? It's not a facebook/twitter deal...

Edited by 250 Osprey

Facebook has been around for a while now and I don't see it slowing down

Trollin,

Yes you are right. But I don't see it as the "right" medium to serve the purposes we are looking for...or at least me.

My boss at Pro-Line wanted me to start up some sort of Facebook thingee for them and I told him that's not what owner's want, they want answers to there questions, solutions to their problems. So the wife told me to start my own site to show them that this is what they should be doing. Well, I just went over to PLs website, went on their facebook page, and they've got all these neat "friends", and cutesy shit, but if you look under the "Discussions" section, which is basically what Reel Boating, THT, my site, Classic Aquasport, etc. are all about, there are NO discussions. So what exactly is it good for?

BTW, if you know any Pro-Line owners, have them check me out...The Proline Guy...

I personally do not Facebook, Twitter or any of that other stuff. Not knocking anyone that does but, I simply do not have the time/interest to do so. I opened a FB account to see someone on it and then forgot about it. I started getting friend invitations from people I did not even know and some from people I knew from high school that I didn't like then (30 year ago. I really like this site but there does seem to be a lack of traffic and I don't know why. I do get on another site (Charlestonfishing.com) but that is because it is local to me. Don't give up Wiley. I think the reel boaters/fishermen (I put myself in there loosely) will keep coming here and you will see growth, it just may take a little longer.

I personally do not Facebook, Twitter or any of that other stuff. Not knocking anyone that does but, I simply do not have the time/interest to do so. I opened a FB account to see someone on it and then forgot about it. I started getting friend invitations from people I did not even know and some from people I knew from high school that I didn't like then (30 year ago. I really like this site but there does seem to be a lack of traffic and I don't know why. I do get on another site (Charlestonfishing.com) but that is because it is local to me. Don't give up Wiley. I think the reel boaters/fishermen (I put myself in there loosely) will keep coming here and you will see growth, it just may take a little longer.

Lol, i'm with you on this, i just can't get into the Facebook, Myspace, Twitter stuff, seems more suited to kids. I much prefer to take part in forums where i can discuss my interests, such as fishing, boating, hunting, politics, etc....

I will admit I do post on the old site more then here, there is just more traffic there. But overall I am not as active on any of the forums as I used to be, just to busy this time of year. I do check in here pretty much every day.

Especially getting that little one PT'd... :1992_beer_cheer: