Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

TSA stealing the food straight out of the mouths of my children!

OK so I lied...I don't have any children, and if I did they'd be responsible for their own food... :1143_neener_neener_neener:

I know this has been brought up before, but I just had to sign up for my appointment to get my TWICS (late) and I felt compelled to register my displeasure with someone.

What are they smoking at the TSA. I drive a tiny boat in a teeny harbor with no possible strategic importance (unless the navy is hiding warships there somewhere) or need to go into a secured area. The "engine room" on my vessel consists of a splash well on which a motor is bolted, the "bridge" is separated from the "passenger area" by..well...nothing... and I really don't think I'm at a great risk for being hijacked by anyone more scary than a mischievous teenager. Nevertheless, I've got to haul my butt to the Port of Boston twice, maybe go through another background check, pony up a hundred and thirty clams, and waste a few hours of my time to get this stupid card....

I had thought they changed the rule so that only people who were likely to have to go into a secure area had to get the card....ha!....how silly of me....I should have known that if anything the TSA/USFG did started to make sense, I was misunderstanding something... :753_hammer_hitting_head: Turns out the rule is still that any licensed mariner needs one.

Well at least I get a cool ID with all my info on a "very secure" little chip that I can flash around like I'm important. I'm willing to bet a lot of money that I have to produce this ID exactly zero times in my life. Heck its probably 40 miles to the nearest scanner....

Oh well, at least our camouflaged fleet of super-secret US Navy Attack 420's and anti-submarine Opti's is safe....

OK Rant Over. Thanks for indulging me.... :605_thumbs_up:

I agree this is the biggest load of crap that's come rolling off Capitol Hill lately. Take me, for example.....I got my OUPV purely for educational purposes.....I have no intent on using it for anything other than to adorn the wall in my study. Now they say I have to get a TWIC in order to renew it?

Piss on them.....I will let it expire and use the credentials to line the bottom of my cat's litterbox.

The way they(Homeland Defense) are approaching this, half of the charter captains out there must be card-carrying Al Qaida....

Look on the bright side...

Ok. Look on the less dim side. You've got it to prove you're cleared in case you ever blunder into an Instant Restricted Zone (my made up term).

Also, if you ever need to run into a port where TWIC is more applicable you are cleared for that too.

Good luck!

Unfortunatly many of these issues have more to do with revenue ie; TAXES! than a real security situation.

Read between the lines K-ss My A-- !!!

Soon we will all need some kind of Gov't ID.

Can you say: "Let me zee your papiers, plezzze?"

then hear "Come wit me, your papiers are NOT in order!" :2403_worshipper:

This is out of control! :2261_high:

:753_hammer_hitting_head:

The security that the TWIC program provides is that our elected officials will continue to receive contributions to their election funds. Lockheed Martin has issued almost 1 MILLION TWIC cards at $132.50. If they gave only 1% to the campaign funds (BRIBE) that is $1.3 million to elected officials who do not trust US citizens. What a great cost return. We spend billions to buy officials in small countries but you can buy a US Congressman for a couple of thousand. Keep make regulations which always come with a cost and they are driving the small operator out of business

Keep make regulations which always come with a cost and they are driving the small operator out of business

NJDiver:

Can't you see that's their plan?

Look what is going on today, They can control Big Biz.

They can't control us individual litte guys. :1143_neener_neener_neener:

help!

:2261_high:

Yes I see the plan. I agree the government is trying to control every section of our life’s. “We the people”has become “We the servants to the government”. We need to vote the present officials out and put term limits in. It has come to the pint that the citizen is wrong and must prove that the government is wrong. But they will try and financial break the individual