Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Pourable transom material?

I've used Arjay Technologies Ceramic compound on new boat builds with great success. It is extremely dense and has great compression values, just what you want in a transom core.

I used it on my brother's boat when we rebuilt it and it didn't work out so well. I believe what happened is the exotherm made the glass pull towards the centerline creating a warp in the transom. On new boats the glass is against the mold and a lot of the heat is absorbed by the mold so it doesn't create the problem.

I've read good reviews on the Seacast system although I've never used it myself. Supposed to have low exotherm.

One thing to consider is the weight. If your boat is sensitive to weight at the stern, you may want to consider something else. This type of material can add quite a bit of weight depending on transom configuration.

Edited by OReely

• 1 month later...

There are a couple of guys on our website that are in the process right now. You don;t have to have a ROBALO but you do need to join (free we are not for profit at all just for fun and info) to see the pics (keeps down the spamers) So this way you can see how a novas did it.Check out my sig for web site.

I'm with VeroWing on this one. I am trying to post a link, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Cut and paste.

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16991&hilit=transom+time+has+come

This repair was done 2 years ago and I'm convinced it was the right choice.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userpics/18605/128.jpg

Edited by Mechdave

Nida bond is another product for pouring transoms. You might want to make sure where the stringer systems attaches to the transom that the stringers have not rotted also. It is also important to clean out the old wood and get the inner fiberglass clean enough for the pour system to bond too.

Edited by ReelPlumber