Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

tight outboard steering

Looking for possible solution to a 1988 Evinrude 140 HP that is becoming tight to turn. Just installed new cable and helm but it seems the engine steering tube is firm. Pumped grease in the fitting and it came out the bottom but didn't see any at the top. There is a plastic collar at the top and the steering arm is quite rusty. Any ideas on how to get lube into the top end to help free it up?

Thanks

Bob

Looking for possible solution to a 1988 Evinrude 140 HP that is becoming tight to turn. Just installed new cable and helm but it seems the engine steering tube is firm. Pumped grease in the fitting and it came out the bottom but didn't see any at the top. There is a plastic collar at the top and the steering arm is quite rusty. Any ideas on how to get lube into the top end to help free it up?

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

PM member Seahorse...

With the steering link disconected from the motor, is it still hard to turn by hand? If so, then the upper bushing may have been a victim of lack or maintenance. If so, sometimes a propane torch warming the area -- use precautions, care, and common sense with an open flame around a motor -- can liquify some of the lube so it migrates into the bushing area. That is a very common problem with older Merc motors and the same procedure sometimes helps.

If the motor is easy to turn while disconnected, then the cable, ram, or tilt tube is causing the problem.

• 1 month later...

If the tilt tube is the culprit you need to see 2 st if you have enough area to remove the steering cable. If OK then pick up a round wire brush.I use a portable drill and shoot brake cleaner on the brush and in the tube Wear safety glasses it goes everywhere so I put a old towel over it and have at it. Once cleaned I push strips of cloth (old T cut in strips) and clean out. They say use lythem grease so I put a coat inside it. But on the cable rod I put neversease all over it and the nuts. If you can get the nut that has a grease fitting on it it goes on the exit end before the rod is installed.

Just my 2 cents .