Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Liable for prior owner’s tax bill?

The tax bill has been cleared! I confirmed with NC that the title was released to them from SC with no liens. This gave me the confidence to call the local SC tax auditor and present my case. 2 days later and the bill is cleared...

I got lucky that the boat left the state and the tax auditor was in a good mood, technicaly the bill was mine and there is no statue of limitations for the tax man. If it had gone to court I could have suied the prior owner for court fees and 3 times the tax bill.

One thing to check is when it left the state

there may not be as many years owed as the state says

you can have the same trouble in Ga.

there are advalorem taxes on cars, boats,and almost anything they can hit you with here

when I first moved to Ga. I found out the hard way also

lucky for me it was only 300.00 back taxes on a used car

I bought boat from an honest guy in NC, It has a free and clear NC title. When I went to SC to register, DNR said a prior owner (not the guy I bought it from) had not paid taxed from 2000- 2008. Now they will not give me a registration and say that the $5,000 tax bill is mine.

Any Advice?

Register it it in Ga.

Edited by His-Sea-Fit

• 2 weeks later...