Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cant Get On A Plane

Lots of stuff to check but start simple since you say it idles and revs out of the water (no load) but wont plane (with load). First check to make sure the hull isnt full of water run it across some scales. Next check cam timing and ignition timing both can cause a lack of power under load. Go over the basics one more time plug wires on in the correct order throttle cable adjusted right correct fuel pressure. Another simply thing to do is use an external fuel tank to make sure you dont have clogged lines or pick up. That motor will get that boat on plane if everything is correct. Good luck and when you find it let us know. Brian

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the hub was spun it would be over reving, not under reving :1121_wink: It should turn up about 3600 in the water, so it's either got the wrong prop, or some engine issues. IIRC those engines had a lot of trouble with timing belts.

Good luck at the shop :605_thumbs_up:

Edited by Cracker Larry

Tired old gas? Long overdue for a complete tuneup not just plugs & filters? Did you gap the plugs to proper spec? Cables back tight on proper plugs? Air intrusion (from leaky filter gasket , loose hose clamp or unsealed threaded connector?)or fuel restriction causing lean mix? Any smoke or steam in the exhaust under load? Check dist.cap , check the new plugs( wet,carboned, condition of each compared to a sp. plug chart?), timing and perhaps try running on a portable tank of brand new fresh fuel. If it still has points, do they look new and have correct dwell angle set? Choke opening all the way when warm? Anything abnormal showing on the gauges? Fuel pump pressure correct? What condition is that "original prop"? Just because it's the original prop doesn't mean it still has the original pitch, or even diameter, + boats can gain a lot of weight over the years. Reving in neutral takes a fraction of the fuel flow compared to under load, and you can do it w/ 1 cylinder not firing.

Let me try this again. You are trying to get a large heavy boat, for the power it has, on plane with a Volvo 125--actually at the prop 117hp--engine that was not meant for this boat to begin with. Bayliner did this for a reason, the reason was to sell lots of Capris at a very low price. It will plane if you put people in the cabin and run it full tilt like I said before. I have sold many of these in the past, used, and I always forewarn people about them. 2 people in the boat, propped right and it will perform, poorly, but perform.

Your wide open rpms should be 4800-5200 if memory serves on this one if propped right; any Volvo dealer should be able to tell you. If you are ok with the rebuild, and the compression is good; you only need to find the right prop. Standard from the factory, this had to have been a left hand prop. Get to the rpm's I mention and you'll at least be able to get her on plane with a light load. You bought an underpowered boat and unfortunately I'm the one who has to tell you after you have owned it for a while.

The good news is it sounds like you bought it right enough to do some changes. A V-6 would be perfect, but you'll need to completely change the stringer system. Some of the others may have a point about wet wood in the hull making it heavier; but until you prop it right, you won't know.

At best, it'll always be a slow boat to China with the engine you have.