Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Cant Get On A Plane

I bought a 1983 Bayliner Ciera 2150, it has the Volvo Penta engine and 220 outdrive. When the boat is out of the water the engine will wind up no problem,but when its in the water the engine will not wind up and get on a plane. Does anyone know what might be the issue im having or some ideas i can try? Please Help.

post-7818-127108506404_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 1983 Bayliner Ciera 2150, it has the Volvo Penta engine and 220 outdrive. When the boat is out of the water the engine will wind up no problem,but when its in the water the engine will not wind up and get on a plane. Does anyone know what might be the issue im having or some ideas i can try? Please Help.

What size and pitch prop are you running?

Hate to rain on your parade, but this is probably a four cylinder engine--you didn't mention, but I am assuming since most of them were--and this boat is notoriously underpowered with that engine. The seller may have forgotten to mention that to you.

With the perfect prop and full rpms, you'll still probably have to ask people to go into the front of the cabin to get her to plane and then you'll have to run her in the kitchen, probably at least 38 or 900 rpms to keep her on plane. Just the nature of the beast and one in a long line of underpowered boats by Bayliner.

If it should happen to be a v-8, you have a simple prop problem.

Edited by Erie Skipper

Hate to rain on your parade, but this is probably a four cylinder engine--you didn't mention, but I am assuming since most of them were--and this boat is notoriously underpowered with that engine. The seller may have forgotten to mention that to you.

With the perfect prop and full rpms, you'll still probably have to ask people to go into the front of the cabin to get her to plane and then you'll have to run her in the kitchen, probably at least 38 or 900 rpms to keep her on plane. Just the nature of the beast and one in a long line of underpowered boats by Bayliner.

If it should happen to be a v-8, you have a simple prop problem.

did it get on plane when u seatrialed it?...how long have u had the boat and when did it start doing this?

I bought the boat last year in june, half of the engine was in a box so i paid a mechanic to put it back together. Needless to say there was no seatrial. All in all I paid $1000 for the boat and trailer and $800 for the engine rebuild so i guess the next option would be to get a bigger engine for it.