Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Arpaio gets inmates moving on electricity-generating cycles

PHOENIX -- Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio is implementing a new inmate program at Tent City Jail called “Pedal Vision.”

The program uses inmate-powered cycles to generate electricity for televisions.

Reports say Arpaio’s recent visit to Tent City inspired the idea, when he saw that many of the inmates were overweight.

The stationary bikes are customized so that as an inmate pedals, a connected television is powered once the cycle generates 12 volts of electricity.

One hour of pedaling equals one hour of television viewing for the inmates, according to Arpaio.

Arpaio said the inmates will only be able to watch television in the television room if they choose to pedal.

"I started with the females because they seemed more receptive to the idea," Arpaio said. "The only exercise the females get right now is speed-walking around the tents yard and few are doing that. This gives them a reason to get moving and a way to burn up to 500 calories an hour. They won't be charged a monthly gym fee but they will have to sign a contract."

Sheriff Arpaio debuted the pilot program on April 1. :2403_worshipper::2403_worshipper::1992_beer_cheer::1992_beer_cheer::1946_headbanging::1946_headbanging::1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin:1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin:1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin

I have a novel idea, don't break the law, and stay out of jail. Gee, that should not be too hard to figure out. I have been in LE for 23 years. I can't tell you how many thugs have stated that doing time "ain't no big thing". The problem is that "doing time" is too damn easy. Make it awful, maybe some of these idiots would try to stay out of trouble, who knows.

I have a novel idea, don't break the law, and stay out of jail. Gee, that should not be too hard to figure out. I have been in LE for 23 years. I can't tell you how many thugs have stated that doing time "ain't no big thing". The problem is that "doing time" is too damn easy. Make it awful, maybe some of these idiots would try to stay out of trouble, who knows.

Did you even read the link?

• 1 month later...

Did you even read the link?

I read it. Sounds like a little power play in local politics and the Sheriff has his dander up a wee bit. It also sounds like the guy has the welfare of the community at heart to me. Lord knows the feds aren't going to do anything about illegal aliens....and, no, they are not illegal immigrants. If you're an immigrant that would mean you've entered the country lawfully, in peace, and without intent to do harm or break laws. Seeing that is not the case in the large majority of instances down in Arizona, i would say the sheriff is doing a fine job. Someone has to put the fear into those people.

Hmmm..... St Paul eh? Probably an Al Franken fan.

Edited by heaterman