Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Looking For Tires

I will be needing to buy some new tires for my 06 Tundra in the next couple of months. I have been less than impressed with the Bridgestones that came on it (no traction, have not worn well despite balancing/rotating every 5,000)so I am looking for input from all of you "experts" out there.

I do most of my driving on streets, so I don't need anything super aggressive but, something that rides well and has some traction on boat ramps would be nice. Also, how many of you have bought online and had them installed locally? Is that a bigger pain than it is worth? Some of the prices are really good.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

I always use Michelin LTX MS, I believe they have a newer version of that tire now though.

Check online, and then call locally to see what they would charge you to install, and balance the tires that you have. Most of the times it's going to be cheaper to just get it from the dealer.

There is a place in Jacksonville NC that has used tires at a very good price. When I priced a set of Michelin's for my truck it came up to be just over a grand. I purchased a used set for $400.00 installed, and the tires had well over 3/4 tread on them. The used Michelin's are harder to come by, but this is the best place I have found to buy tires.

David

I will be needing to buy some new tires for my 06 Tundra in the next couple of months. I have been less than impressed with the Bridgestones that came on it (no traction, have not worn well despite balancing/rotating every 5,000)so I am looking for input from all of you "experts" out there.

I do most of my driving on streets, so I don't need anything super aggressive but, something that rides well and has some traction on boat ramps would be nice. Also, how many of you have bought online and had them installed locally? Is that a bigger pain than it is worth? Some of the prices are really good.

Any input appreciated. Thanks!

I put a set of General Grabber HTS on my Avalanche. I could not be happier. I have been in deep snow, mud, and long distance highway. I love the tires. If you go to the Tire Rack web site and look at the reviews this one gets raves. Consumers Reports also listed it last month as a Best Buy.

I put Michelin LTX MS on my Ford Explorer and after 21,000 miles they still look new. They ride smooth and quiet. My 2004 GMC Yukon is close to needing new tires and I will replace them with the Michelin LTX MS.

My local Sams Club has Michelin LTX MS for $198 each and a rebate of $70 off the purchase of 4 tires. I think mounting and balance is $15 per tire.

265/70/17"

I have been running YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR H/T-S tires for 2 years. My mechanic recommended them instead of the Michelins I thought I wanted. He said they were a bit less $$$ and they would perform as well as the Michelins. He was right. They are quite, smooth, and ware well.605_thumbs_up.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Just had to buy tires for my GMC 1500 Sierra. Went with the YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S. Got them from TireRack.com for $766 (20" rims). Was very happy with the service and price. They shipped them right to my local tire shop who installed them for $18 per tire.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...