Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Air in fuel line to gas tank

Your vent line is probably clogged, not letting air out as fuel enters. I don't know your location, but here in GA my first suspect would be a dirt dauber nest in the vent fitting or vent hose. These little mud wasp will plug up anything they can crawl into. Even the pee tubes on the engines. I doubt it is air in the line causing the problem.

Remove the vent hose from the fitting and try to blow through it to the tank, and make sure the fitting is clear. If not, a piece of clothes hanger wire will ream it out. Try to keep the dirt out of the tank.

Edited by Cracker Larry

If there is any trash or water in the vent line you will blow it in the tank if you blow in the vent hose.

Blow in the intake filler hose that goes to the tank and try to push it out that way. If you can get to it, remove the vent hose from the side of the boat before you try to blow the trash out. (If that's whats wrong with it)

Have you changed the gas station that you go to? I have seen it where if the grade of the ground (Angle)it could stop it from going in the tank. My Sea-Pro does it

Edited by Capt Rick Hiott

My guess is that the problem is "airlock" in the fill line. If the fuel goes in too fast, the tank can't take it in that fast and the fuel belches back up at you. I have that problem with my boat and dealt with it by putting gas in 5 gallon cans at the station and then putting the cans on the gunwale and siphoning the fuel from the cans into the tank. The fuel goes in at a slow rate and the problem is solved. A real PITA, but I love the boat anyway!

My guess is that the problem is "airlock" in the fill line

That is usually caused by the way the hose is routed in manufacturing. Since the problem just appeared I'm still betting on a clogged vent :1121_wink:

If there is any trash or water in the vent line you will blow it in the tank if you blow in the vent hose.

Rick, good point. Better advice would be to disconnect the vent hose from the tank fitting, and blow it in the opposite direction :605_thumbs_up:

You aren't going to blow a dirt dauber nest down the line anyway, my test was just to see if it is clogged or clear :)