Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Distress Calls - - - Simplified for New Crew

The following is a sample FAQ that you can use and adapt to your needs.

I have produced instructions for users to make Mayday calls on the VHF should something happen to me.

I know, I know . . . give them a briefing when they get on board . . . pretend I already did that, please

No matter how good the briefing is, will they remember when something goes wrong

With the help of a bunch of documents provided by Sam Gardner (aka cuonawv) of the Florida Coast Guard I put together a document which I have since printed and laminated copies for the bridge and salon

You can download the document at

http://www.4shared.com/file/202505283/58cbf7e2/safety_may_day.html

The file name is safety_may_day

It is a MS Word document

It contains pics and therefore I was unable to post the document as produced

Comments and suggestions appreciated

Note: The site where the file is stored is free to use . . . not terribly intuitive but never the less very useful . . . I have no affiliation with the site . . . my son and I use it to share large files

Wiley . . . I shared this on a few sites because it is so safety oriented . . . however we could make this kind of FAQ a RB feature . . . any thoughts

Edited by auguste

Auguste,

Even I the computer the computer challenged one here could do it biggrin.gif .

Thanks for taking the time to make this, it will go on my boat since it almost always is just my son (14) and I, the wife is starting to get interested, but he is way ahead of her as far as running the boat goes.

Butch

Suggestion: For anyone that doesn't have one, the USCG auxiliary distributes decals with step by step instructions for distress calls. You can get them (free) from the USCG auxuiliary, most boat shows, and most boating stores (West Marine, etc.). As Captain, I know we all know how to make the call, but it's a great thing to have and point out to your passengers when you do your pre-trip safety briefing (I know we all do that, right?) just in case you are ever incapacitated and need someone else to make the call.

Hi Rich. Good point!

I agree. I have a couple of those CG dcecals and they are great

What I have tried to address is two points . . . the CG decals do not talk specifically about the radios I have on board and the DSC function . . . and some newbies may find the CG decal too kryptic. Also some people do not know that VHF is one way discussion and not a telephone, PTT

My assumption in preparing the note is that something has incapacitated me and that the only help on board is a newbie who has never used a VHF radio . . . this helps me have peace of mind knowing that the info is available for them

Again . . . I agree that the CG decals are great

Suggestion: For anyone that doesn't have one, the USCG auxiliary distributes decals with step by step instructions for distress calls. You can get them (free) from the USCG auxuiliary, most boat shows, and most boating stores (West Marine, etc.). As Captain, I know we all know how to make the call, but it's a great thing to have and point out to your passengers when you do your pre-trip safety briefing (I know we all do that, right?) just in case you are ever incapacitated and need someone else to make the call.