Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

WOW! Yacht Fire in Port Everglades - Pictures

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I witnessed everyone handled their job quite well.

I didn't have the VHF on, I just happened to look out back and see how close the Bert was to the seawall. When I saw the tiny bit of smoke I put the two together and grabbed the camera.

FLL police (Harbor Patrol) first on the scene, then TowBoat, then Coast Guard, then the fire boat. There were fire trucks everywhere including in front of here. 4 firemen stood out back with me during the fire, really all they could do is watch.

The smoke had filled the cabin at 2:34pm - The flames made their appearance at 2:41pm. It didn't take long. Can only imagine if it was gas and not diesel.

Everyone reacted quickliy and calmly. I was even surprised how long the 2 guys remained on the yacht. People around here really know their stuff when it comes to boating.

From what I witnessed everyone handled their job quite well.

I didn't have the VHF on, I just happened to look out back and see how close the Bert was to the seawall. When I saw the tiny bit of smoke I put the two together and grabbed the camera.

FLL police (Harbor Patrol) first on the scene, then TowBoat, then Coast Guard, then the fire boat. There were fire trucks everywhere including in front of here. 4 firemen stood out back with me during the fire, really all they could do is watch.

The smoke had filled the cabin at 2:34pm - The flames made their appearance at 2:41pm. It didn't take long. Can only imagine if it was gas and not diesel.

Everyone reacted quickliy and calmly. I was even surprised how long the 2 guys remained on the yacht. People around here really know their stuff when it comes to boating.

Good Lord............not a pretty sight. That rig is a total loss. Hope the insurance covers all

Edited by Limbofish

Certainly is a shame to see that.

In about the 11th frame down, it looks like there is a P.I.W., but on 2nd glance it's obviously the dark fender whose lines had melted off. Wonder how long it would have taken the possible 542(?) gals or so of diesel to burn off if set ashore with no hose down? Wiley, was there a flowing slick after the flames were finally extinguished?

I thought it was a person in water at first but it wouldn't have made sense for someone to be there. Indeed a fender.

I did not notice a slick afterward. By the time the fire was extinquished the Yacht had been pulled across the channel (a good distance) and there was foam from the fire trucks in the water surrounding.