Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Jet Drives On Skinny Water Boats?

The biggest problem I can see is very low speed manuverability. For a jet-ski, which spends very little time in this mode, it's no big deal, but flats boats spend many hour probing flats and back-country canals, and they don't always do it with the trolling motor...

Sure there is, they've been around a long time. Very popular in Western rivers where it's shallow and rocky. Sand and mud gives them trouble, another drawback is about a 25% reduction in thrust as compared to a standard prop. But they are great for what they are designed to do. Here's a couple of pics..

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

Never heard of or seen one- would kinda seem like a natural fit. Being that there not any, what is the reason? Just a random thought...

Depends on what your needs are. Are you thinking something like a JetSki drive or something more substantial? This forum will probably poo poo anything waterjet related as they are all into the 350hp outboards. Most people are scared off by stories of poor economy, clogged intakes, blah blah blah....I am a fan however, so I'm going to say that it would be an excellent drive option particularly if it has plenty of horsepower driving it. I'm building a 28 foot twin waterjet powered boat with Ford 460s. I'm sure it will suck huge amounts of fuel, but I don't care. It will be able to spin in its own length in 16 inches of water, and go sideways.

Never heard of or seen one- would kinda seem like a natural fit. Being that there not any, what is the reason? Just a random thought...

Depends on what your needs are. Are you thinking something like a JetSki drive or something more substantial? This forum will probably poo poo anything waterjet related as they are all into the 350hp outboards. Most people are scared off by stories of poor economy, clogged intakes, blah blah blah....I am a fan however, so I'm going to say that it would be an excellent drive option particularly if it has plenty of horsepower driving it. I'm building a 28 foot twin waterjet powered boat with Ford 460s. I'm sure it will suck huge amounts of fuel, but I don't care. It will be able to spin in its own length in 16 inches of water, and go sideways.

Cool... :605_thumbs_up:

I was thinking more of a flats boat then river boat (seen them a bit) - I guess the sucking up the bottom makes the most sense - as far as speed the jet boats with the little rotex engines scream literally and figuratively. But maybe if the boats were built to be more than a toy (ie SeeDoo, Yahamha, etc) they would be much heavier.

Edited by knot now

There are many of them built to be more than a toy. This isn't a new concept. If you think that, well, you need to get out more :239_fishing: No offense :1121_wink:

205536_jetboatstern.jpg

This is a NOAA research jet drive

205539_noaajetboat.jpg

Yamaha makes factory jet drive outboards...

600_f40jet_right_profile_bdbec772.jpg

Mercury also builds them in 2 and 4 stroke, up to 110 hp.

I could give you thousands of examples, but you can do a google search if you're interested further.